• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

    Find out more >here<.

Hospital Discharge


Registered User
Apr 2, 2012
Forest of Dean
I would like some advice please. On 13th April my O/H had a fall and broke his hip. His operation and recovery has been very successful. He is only 62 and physically very fit.
However he is still in the main hospital. Although the hospital wanted to discharge him some time ago, they haven't been able to do so because Social Services haven't been able to organise appropriate care for when he comes home.

Prior to his fall we received 4 hours 'free' care from SS once a week. No other care was in place or necessary as I was able to leave him for a period of time whilst I went to work part-time. So we didn't have a care package set up. All the other care needs have always been met by myself.

However he is in a ward with very elderly people some of whom have advanced dementia. He is getting more and more upset because he can't come home, whilst others in there are being discharged even though they are both physically and mentally less able than him.

It is also very difficult and distressing for me to leave him when he is so upset. I think he is getting depressed being in the hospital, and I think it would be better for us both to have him home.

The problem is I need someone to provide a sitting service for whilst I am at work. Which can be between 4-6 hours per day. Having spoken to the social worker at the hospital she has said that they won't consider it because it is too expensive. It would be cheaper for them to put him into a residential home, but she acknowledged that this wouldn't be in hugs best interests.

I said it would only be the same as someone going in 4 times a day for 1.5 hours a time.

I only need it for 1 week, next week, as we are going on holiday the week after and by then I am fairly certain we will ve back to where we started before the fall.

The Social worker said that they don't send people in for 1.5 hours a day because' ost if the people are more elderly and they aren't fit enough to get up and go about in between visits!'

That seems grossly unfair as it seems to me that we are being penalised or refused access to services because he is physically fit.

I need someone I. To ensure that he doesn't get up and try to do something silly. We have 8 concrete steps up to the front of the property and 12 to the rear. He's already walking around the ward and forgetting to take his sticks etc with him.

I receive a direct carers payment of £157.20 per month to pay for carers to come in so I can have a break every so if ten. I have offered to put this towards the care we currently need.

Am I being unreasonable? What should we be either entitled to, or what could we reasonably expect?

Do they not have a duty if care to do whats in jus best interests and to keep him safe?

Any advice gratefully received.


Registered User
May 21, 2014
If it's only for a few weeks, couldn't he be given a respite place in a care home? Or how about a Day Care Centre? If you are at work anyway, he might be better off in a place with other people around who can look after him, provide him with meals and social contact. Care packages for the home like you request don't usually exist - the most would be carers 4 times a day for 15 minutes.

However, sitting service, depending on what's available in your area, can sometimes be obtained independent of Social Services by Crossroads or Age UK. For at least the first 6 weeks, Age UK should provide their own service, and they also do emergency cover. 4 - 6 hours a day five days a week is a lot though and you might not get it. Contact them anyway, plus the local Alzheimer's Society and the Carers Centre - they might know what's available from whom.


Registered User
Dec 11, 2013
Hi triumph :)

This is a difficult one as I can see that your husband would almost certainly be better off emotionally at home - but the environment is not very safe for him, at least at the moment. For the medium term, have you thought about adaptations to your home, eg to the steps, and also maybe some assistive technology, eg sensors to let you know whether he has got up, gone out, fallen etc? These can all be very useful, and transform the safety level for someone at home.

However, that's maybe for the future :) For the discharge, I wonder whether you could get leave from work for a week? Not easy, I expect, but it seems the most straightforward solution, and likely to get your hubby home soonest. Then, as Beate says, look into daycare and sitting services as a more long term plan. Sadly I doubt that a sitting service will be able to get going as soon as you'd like.....it just always takes ages for assessments to be done, staff to be found etc !

One other thought. Why exactly are the hospital not discharging your husband? Is it because he needs further rehabilitation, or is it that they feel he needs supervision for safety at home? Might be worth asking, in case there is a small rehabilitation unit or service that could meet his short term needs.

Sorry for rambling......good luck :)

Lindy xx
Last edited:


Registered User
Apr 2, 2012
Forest of Dean
Thanks all for the replies. He is not being discharged because I don't feel he would be entirely safe at home unless someone is with him.

Getting time off work is difficult, especially as I have the week after off as it's our holiday. We are going to a chalet in Wales which will be good as I have booked a disabled one with all the adaptations.

I'm very certain they won't give me another week.

I've asked about getting him into the local community hospital but they won't let him go there as they say he doesn't need more re-habilitation physically and because his Alzheimer's will not get any better they can't re habilitate him from that.

I guess, from your replies, that I am expecting too much, and asking for something they just won't supply:(

I will try to make my own arrangements for someone to come & sit with him. I expect that will be the answer.

But thank you both for taking the time to reply.


Registered User
Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
One other aspect you can look at is the re-ablement programme. When I was moving house my OH was in a Mental Health Unit. So he could be discharged he was put into a CH for respite-paid for by SS's. This can be for up to 6 weeks. It was considered to dangerous for Pete to go home when I was packing etc. plus there was the danger of 14 steps outside the house-impossible for him to negotiate. Could you contact SS's and see if that is something that happens in your area. At that stage my OH understood that he would not be in the CH for ever-I told him it was for him to 'continue getting better'.

I hope thing work out for you
Take care

Lyn T


Registered User
Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi triumph, Im sorry your dad has broken his hip and is still in hospital
Im afraid that the maximum that SS provide in care in home is 1/2 hour 4 times a day. If this is not sufficient then usually the next step is residential care. Im afraid I dont know about direct payments.

Given that he needs watching during the day, what normally happens when you go on holiday? Would just a weeks respite in a care home to cover while you are away work?


Registered User
Feb 25, 2014
South coast
BTW, I just thought Id mention that people who are worse than your dad, but are being discharged earlier than him probably are already being cared for full-time by family members or are in a care home, so their care is already organised.


Registered User
Sep 17, 2010
I think part of the problem you're experiencing is that there are so few of the old cottage hospitals / convalescent homes still around. I wanted that type of accommodation for my Mum; the acute hospital she was in preferred to keep her there because of the sheer lack of safe alternatives.

You're not being unreasonable in what you ask for - it's more a case of adequate services and adequate funding just not being in place.