Hospital discharge

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
A hospital wants to discharge a friend's mum unsafely to her home and want her daughter to take responsibility..she has firmly said no...but I know frim posts like this in the past there is a particular phrase stating duty of care etc to state...does anybody know or remember it please?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @love.dad.but.. are you thinking of phrases such as she is a vulnerable adult towards whom the hospital and social workers have a duty of care. The daughter needs to make it very clear she won't be around to pick up the pieces and that it is extremely likely if the mum is sent home she will be back in hospital very shortly, something the hospital won't want.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Hi @love.dad.but.. are you thinking of phrases such as she is a vulnerable adult towards whom the hospital and social workers have a duty of care. The daughter needs to make it very clear she won't be around to pick up the pieces and that it is extremely likely if the mum is sent home she will be back in hospital very shortly, something the hospital won't want.
yes I think it may also included 'failed discharge' but it was a stock phrase I had seen quoted on here quite a bit

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
You may be thinking of my dad’s experience @love.dad.but..

He had already been discharged from hospital and then returned by ambulance the next day so I used both the “vulnerable adult at risk” and “failed discharge “ to keep him in hospital until a suitable bed could be found for him elsewhere.

I phoned the Alzheimer’s society helpline and they were very helpful.
0333 150 3456

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
A hospital wants to discharge a friend's mum unsafely to her home and want her daughter to take responsibility..she has firmly said no...but I know frim posts like this in the past there is a particular phrase stating duty of care etc to state...does anybody know or remember it please?
Also just to add, social services have duty of care for your friend's mum, not your friend. It is their responsibility not hers and she cannot be forced to take responsibility. However, some people’s experiences of SS have found they could pile on the guilt to family who say no and sometimes have to be reminded of their duty of care.

Last edited by a moderator:

JHA

Aug 7, 2021
When SS tried to discharge my mom home I just kept repeating that she lived alone, was a vulnerable adult and they were putting her at serious risk. Eventually they agreed for a six week assessment bed then decided that she had capacity and could return home with carers three times a day. After about a month she refused the carers and it was left to me - we muddled along for nearly four months until she started to wander at night. After being returned by the police I was told she could not be alone then the battle to get help started - help was promised 'tomorrow' but tomorrow never came so I took matters into my own hands and took her to a respite bed in a care home - Mental Health then agreed that the care home was the best place and a DOLS was applied for.

Dont let SS bully you if I had refused to do anything when they first decided she had capacity four months down the line would not have happened.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet