Hospital Discharge notes sent to pharmacy

CynthsDaugh

May 5, 2015
Salford, Lancashire
I'm fuming!

My nearly 82 year old Mum (mixed Alz & VD) was recently in hospital for a week after having a second 'silent' heart attack in 4 weeks. Thankfully she has recovered well although her dementia has taken a step down.

What has made steam come out of my ears is that I had a phone call from her pharmasist to say the hospital had faxed Mums discharge notes through to them. Not just the changes in medication the whole lot. Including the phrase 'Mrs Bs prognosis is poor'. The pharmasist said they are not usually sent any discharge notes, let alone anything not related to medication. She hadn't read anything other than changes to medication and promised to destroy the rest.

I have e-mailed PALS stating that this was an unneccesary disclosure of sensitive personal information that doesn't meet the conditions of processing set out in the Data Protection Act.

Wonder how long I'll have to wait for a response!

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
That's a dreadful mistake for the hospital discharge team to make, Cynthia. I'm glad you've involved PALS but I think your Mum's Consultant also needs to know about this ... did you contact him / her as well as PALS please?

CynthsDaugh

May 5, 2015
Salford, Lancashire
I've not contacted the consultant yet, but we are at the heart failure clinic on Friday so I may mention it then.

I've already had a first response from PALS saying they have passed my complaint onto the ward management team, and asked that they contact me by close of play on Friday.

My blood pressure is just about returning to normal now, just have to wait and see what they say. I certainly want an apology and explanation as to how this happened. If Mum needs to go into hospital again I don't want the same thing to occur.

Sally

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan