Hospital discharge .... feeling a bit pressured

Roxymoo

Apr 13, 2019
My dad died today. Hospital called us and said he’s getting worse and we should come in. He was asleep but very rattling chest and laboured breathing. We just knew he wasn’t going to last much longer. I told him it’s ok Dad you can die and go and rest now. After a few minutes his breathing changed slightly and Dr asked us to a side room. Nurses pulled the curtain aside for us but I felt I couldn’t leave him, it felt like he was going to die any second. I went to walk out of the ward and stopped and looked back, he was still breathing. Finally I went with my mum to the side room where Dr told us it’s a matter of days. We talked for a bit, by the time we went back the curtain was drawn again and we knew.
So that’s it really I’m glad he didn’t suffer too long. Dr was wrong it was minutes not days. I honestly think he waited for us to be there with him in his final moments but then for us leave his bedside before he finally passed. I’m so glad we got to be there. It’s sad but it’s over for him and he can rest now. Thanks for reading and listening xx

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
oh @Roxymoo i am so sorry, my condolences to you and your family . As you say he is at peace now , I wish you peace and strength . Take care of you . Sending a big hug .

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I'm so sorry @Roxymoo everything seems to have happened so quickly. My dad went suddenly too. In retrospect it was a mercy. But such a shock at the time x

Last edited:

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
So sorry for your loss, a blessing that the end was quick, but a shock for you and your Mum. Take care and look after yourselves x

LizzieM

May 6, 2019
“I honestly think he waited for us to be there with him in his final moments but then for us leave his bedside before he finally passed.”

Roxymoo, I’m absolutely sure he did. I’ve no idea how it works but it does. He loved you and he loves you still. I hope with all my heart that the sending of thoughts and virtual hugs to you does too. ((((((((Hug)))))))) xxx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry Roxymoo, but glad that he did not linger.
I honestly think he waited for us to be there with him in his final moments but then for us leave his bedside before he finally passed.
My mum did exactly the same. One of the carers said that she had seen it happen many times.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
sad news @Roxymoo
I hope it's a comfort that you were there ... so strange how these things work
my dad, too, went quickly at the last ... and I'm also grateful for that mercy
be gentle with yourself now
my condolences to you and your family

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Oh my lovely, it’s going to be a time of mixed emotions, I’m sorry for your loss. How lovely it was so peaceful & quick for your Dad; he obviously knew you where there & said his goodbyes.
Love & hugs

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Such sad news but I’m glad your dad is at peace.

Wishing you and your mum strength for the days and weeks to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124