Hospital carers allowance

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Hi all some of yu no my grandad has been taken in to hospital I found him on the floor tues morning wen I went to get him up :( he had suspected chest infection and anti biotics the day before from the on call doc and since being in hosp over nite he now has numonia bless him :(

Wot I wanted to ask is I'm really confused with the carers allowance forms I dug them out and it says to call and let them no wen his been admitted and then it also says about telling them after 12 weeks of being there so not really sure wot one it is or wot to do any guidance wud be really helpful thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If the person you look after goes into hospital

If the person you look after goes into hospital, you can continue to get CA for up to 12 weeks or until their disability benefit stops. The disability benefit will stop after:

4 weeks in a NHS hospital if the person you look after is age 16 or over
12 weeks in a NHS hospital if the person is aged under 16
The carer premium or addition can continue to be paid for a further 8 weeks after your CA stops.

Note: CA will stop if your total breaks add up to more than 12 weeks in the past 26 weeks (this will include any periods when you were in hospital).

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/carers-allowance

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Ok thank you so wen do I call them to let them no just as soon as I can ??

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Ok thank you so wen do I call them to let them no just as soon as I can ??

I phoned as soon as my husband went into hospital and they told me to inform them after 28 days if he was still in and they stopped his attendance allowance and my underlying entitlement to carers allowance after that 28 days ,

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Ok if and wen grandad comes out can we get carers and attendance back again or do yu have to claim again sorry I'm not very good with things like this and paper work not sure how it works thank yu for ur replies :)

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Ok if and wen grandad comes out can we get carers and attendance back again or do yu have to claim again sorry I'm not very good with things like this and paper work not sure how it works thank yu for ur replies :)

You tell them and it is reinstated, keep a record of dates when he went in and when he comes out ,

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Ok thank you I keep a daily diary of everything that has happend and go on id never remember else and then at the end any squit which there will be iv got a record of everything :) thank yu for ur help take care

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Thanks for asking that question pumpkin. I had forgotten all about AA and the time limits.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Ok thank you I keep a daily diary of everything that has happend and go on id never remember else and then at the end any squit which there will be iv got a record of everything :) thank yu for ur help take care

You are welcome I hope your grandad is home soon xx

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Grandad is certainly on the mend we think :) his been causing the nurses some grief trying to climb out of bed in the hour I popped home he had half climbed out of bed 3 times and 1 time was found sitting on the floor making his way to the exit oopsy he also wen he was finished with his plate at tea pushed it off the table because he dint want it there :( his deffinately gettin back to his former uncooperative self ! :)