Hospital Care????

maria29al

Mar 15, 2006
Warwickshire
My Dad moved from hospital to a Nursing Home about 10 days ago. In the last few weeks at the hospital I noticed he had a very sticky eye. When I asked the nurse whether he had an infection in it she said "Oh no! Its probably because he is sleeping so much"...I asked for some water etc to bathe it and this she brought me. I mentioned the eye on numerous occasions after that but all that happened was that they sort of bathed it.
When he was transfered to the Nursing home his eye has stuck shut with a hard crusty greeny yellow stuff as in the hospital. The staff at the Home bathed it and sent a swab away to be analysed...I got a call yesterday to say Dad has MRSA!!!!!..He is now getting treatment and will be retested soon.

Not only had the Hospital left my dad asleep for about 3 weeks, saying he was not feeding etc due to a chest infection..when the Nursing Home seem able to get him to eat and wake up... but they also ingored something that was rather obviously infected. I feel I should have spoken out more ....

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else?

Do we have any sort of comeback?

Can we complain?

It is just another thing to deal with and another niggle under my skin. I do wonder about hospitals, I really do!

M

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Maria

Your poor Dad has been through a terrible time. Thank goodness the home is on the ball.

All hospitals have a duty to look after their patients to a high standard, so you must put in a complaint about the treatment he received and the fact that you pointed out an obvious problem to them which they did nothing about is good reason to do so.

The local press, too, are usually interested in cases like yours, they are rare, I hope, but at least it will make them sit up and look at their actions and hopefully avoid a repeat of this mistake.

Good luck.

Kathleen

maria29al

Mar 15, 2006
Warwickshire
Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I am going to write to PALS as soon as I get a spare minute.

Thanks for the advise and support.

Fingers crossed!!!

M

maria29al

Mar 15, 2006
Warwickshire
Update

I contacted PALS at the hospital and they are going to set up a meeting next week with the Ward Matron...Will keep you posted!..and thanks again.

M