Hospital Blues

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
My mum was admitted to our local hospital at 1:30am on Saturday morning .... There was a problem with her bile duct and her blood pressure had really dropped so they decided to keep her in.

One of the nurses called me at 3:30 this afternoon to see if I would be visiting her today, I told her that I was planned to be at the hospital by 5pm but she asked me if I could get there earlier than that. Apparently my mum had ripped her IV out and had to have two nurses watch her all night because she was refusing to go to bed. Unfortunately my mum had also lashed out at these nurses and when I got there she was stood up at the nurses station with two nurses and a security guard watching over her.

I managed to get her to calm down and I've just called the hospital and she's sleeping ok for the moment but I'm dreading the phone going at any moment ..

Just venting ... Like you do :)

Paul

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Not sure what to say but just thinking about you. It sounds very distressing but keep your chin up. Best wishes Beckyjan

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Ta,

She's never been violent until this happened .... I know it because of AZ but it's still hard to take, she just your normal "little old lady" ....

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Vent away Paul!....don't we all.:( .. sorry to hear Mum's in hospital. We had this a few weeks ago after Mum had a heart attack, she took a canula out!... :eek: Hope it's a peaceful night for you and that things improve.
Take care

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Right then !!!!!!

I spent 10 and a half hour in the hospital today, they called me at 7.55am to say that my mum was restless. I dashed to the hospital to find two security guards stopping my mum from even standing up...

The nurses said that she wouldn't take her medication, eat etc. but within 5 minutes I had managed to get her to do everything that they wanted from her. I said that I would stay 4 hours to help them out but I ended up staying there until the end of visiting time at 7pm.

They really don't seem to know what to do with my mother BUT one of my mates who's also a nurse there managed to get my mum to do things without any problems when she visited my mums ward yesterday afternoon ..

I'm just tired and P*%££d off .....

Ok, I feel better now :)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sounds like you have good skilled nurse that know how to deal with a person who has AZ, I find that the problem now days people may be nurses , but are not skilled in dealing with someone that has dementia/AZ.

Hope you can get a good rest

TamiR

Oct 23, 2006
Orange, Califronia
Good thoughts are with you

Seems like each time you tell someone with Alzheimers, 'you must do' they will almost always so NO and NO very loudly. I hope that nurse can come back often. Maybe some phone calls from you may help so you're not having to be there all the time. Wish you best wishes and good thoughts.

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
My thoughts are with you. It's terrible that the nurses are unable to cope with your Mother's needs. You must be shattered.

Wishing you and your Mum my very best wishes.

Louise x

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Thanks for your support :)

I'm convinced that the way she's being treated at the hospital is accelerating her decline. she's changed so much since she was admitted on Friday and I'm so scared that if she doesn't come home soon I might not be able to reverse this decline.

Ah well, I'm off to get some sleep .. Stay safe people

Last edited:

Doreen K

Dec 8, 2005
You have my sympathy.
It makes you wonder what training nurses get in how they can help patients with dementia.
My mum is in hospital with a broken hip and is also being difficult. She refuses her food and her medication on occasions and doesn't want to get out of bed. The nurses don't seem to understand that she needs pursuasion because she no longer realises that she needs to eat and have her medicine. She just doesn't remember why and doesn't want to be bothered by anyone.

Nurses can deal with children. Why can't they deal with dementia patients.

I hope things improve for you and your Mum.

All the best

Doreen K