hospital bed

moviefan318

Apr 30, 2006
northamptonshire
hi all
neeed some advice ,mum has been offered 1 place in a nursing home ,which am going to see tomorrow.The problem is, it does not sound very good even on the inspection report .
my question is does anyone know how mum stands legally if i refuse to take it for her ,will i have any say or can they just put her anywhere because they say thay need the bed
thanks carol

moviefan318

Apr 30, 2006
northamptonshire
just come back from visiting mum and have been told that she was assessed by the nursing home that has offered her a place and they say that thay will take her. I also phoned the helpline number but it seems that if the home covers the care she needs i will have a fight on my hands if i refuse it,although the last home was surposed to be able to cope with her needs but now i find out from my cpn that the place was not suitable for mum and there have been other reports about the home.
my biggest fear is they may seem alright when i visit and then not care for mum if i send her there i.e. letting her walk around without watching her and her falling again
thanks for listening carol

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
have you seen an nh you like the look of better Carol? Is your mum's name on waiting list/s for somewhere else? My dad had to move out of a residential respite care placement because they couldn't cope with him, and he was placed in an nh that I really didn't like. But he only had a week there before managed to get a place at somewhere better. I know lots of moving around isn't good .... but maybe it's compromise position.

Also ... a word about waiting lists for nh. I saw an nh that I really liked that was close to my house when I was looking, when dad was in the place I didn't like. I moved him into a place that was my second choice (it's fine, just further from my house) because this first choice had a waiting list with more than 6 people ahead of me. Despite that it was only about 3 weeks before the first choice rang me to say they had a space. It seems people often put their names on several lists, so often when the nh start working their way down the list half the people have already been placed elsewhere so the list isn't really half so long.

moviefan318

Apr 30, 2006
northamptonshire
thanks for your reply Aine
yes i have somewhere else in mind for mum ,but the problem is that it is more money and being at the mercy of social services will they fund it if this other place fits mums needs and is cheaper? carol

moviefan318

Apr 30, 2006
northamptonshire
hello all
went to see the nursing home offered to mum yesterday,and was presently surprised,it is a very happy and friendly places. The first thing that struck me was that it did not smell and was clean.The manager show me round mums room which she will share but is large. There are only 26 resident in the home most with dementia they are taken out to shops and parks and there are activitys for them to do i.e.help with writing letters, quizs,hobbies,gardening ect.
There is also nurses on duty 24 hrs a day and there are plenty of staff around to care for residents, lets hope mum feels the same

carol

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Carol,
That sounds good, and you certainly sound happier. Is the NH near you, will you be able to visit easily?
Amy

moviefan318

Apr 30, 2006
northamptonshire
hi amy
yes the home is only 20 mins walk away so if I need to get to mum it will not take long, and i can pop in any time as relatives can go when they like.
my children will also be able to see there nan in the week not just at weekends as the last two places where quite a few miles away ,all sound to good to be true fingers crossed
carol

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
There are only 26 resident in the home
This is an ideal size. Jan's home has 24 residents, including some respite beds.

It is perfect.

Therefore the size is being increased over the next 3 years to 60 beds.

It seems when we have something that really works well, we have to change it for something that may not.

It is all down to economics. It is too expensive to provide perfection.

So seize it while we can......

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Carol

Bit late in on this thread, but I'm glad your initial anxieties have subsided a bit.
The fact that you can go any time (no set 'visiting hours') is good, as you know that they have nothing to hide and what you see is what you get.
it is a very happy and friendly places. The first thing that struck me was that it did not smell and was clean.
Those would be the things uppermost in my mind if judging. Those would be worth more than fancy wallpaper and manicured receptionists for me. Trust your instincts, and I hope everything continues to go well.

moviefan318

Apr 30, 2006
northamptonshire
Thanks brucie and lynne
have excepted the nursing home place for mum, we have now got to wait for the extra funding to be approved,so it could be another 2 weeks before mum is moved
went to visit her yesterday and wasa bit concerned as her legs (which have always been thin)seemed really thin even though she has been in hospital and does eat fairly well I am sure that she has still lost weight ,being only a small person and never having been big, it is more noticable.
the trouble with me when I solve one problem,I find something else to worry about
carol