Hospital appointment to investigate uterus / bladder bleeding for partner with vascular dementia

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My partner has had blood in her urine for so long I've forgotten. She had a scan on her bladder last week, and the doctor at the hospital discounted a more intrusive scan on her uterus. She had a hysterectomy about 20 years ago which does not show on her records at the hospital or the GP, but is on her medical record I got from her previous surgery. I'll take that next week. Next Thursday the hospital wants her back in for an unspecified clinic appointment, though hopefully the letter will give more details.
She has never been confirmed as no longer having capacity though I did register POA with the surgery last August. They seem happy to deal with me after I confirm my identity, but the hospital could be harder and producing POA documents in front of C may be embarrassing for her. Should I take them anyway and try to raise it discretely?
I doubt she will fully understand what is happening and indeed yesterday she thought she was only there for a blood test despite my telling her she was there for an ultra sound. My feeling is that she would allow an examination just because they are doctors and nurses and she does not like to cause a fuss. She was knackered yesterday and privately does not like doctors as her mother died in hospital, so the stress and confusion will catch up later.
I'm rambling as usual, but any ideas or suggestions on what to do would be welcomed. Thank you all and I hope everyone is doing ok in their own circumstances.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Well, I'd take them, in a folder with any other documents like the medical letter and appointment letter if you get one. No need to get them out unless asked but if you don't have them it could be a problem!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Today is part 2. C has to go to the gynaecology outpatients for a clinic appointment at 10.30. I have no idea what will happen or how she will be, and will spend the next half hour persuading her there won't be any more blood tests. I hope I'm right.
The care agency were useless and I only found out on Tues night they were not coming early as I asked for. Thankfully, I spoke to the lady on the rota and she arranged with a colleague to swap and everything if fine on that side. POA is in my bag too, with face masks and alcohol gel.
Next job is how to get someone who barely drinks 3 or 4 cups a day then wets the chair to drink enough for it not to smell unpleasant. That may be related to today's visit as UTIs have been ruled out a couple of times, but there is still blood in urine sometimes.
At least we have Eric Bogle's velvet voice on the CD player so the drive may be tolerable.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thank you everyone.
It went well considering C's slight confusion and my stress levels. She is resting now while the supermarket casserole is cooking. Once I mentioned C's stroke affecting her memory and suggested I might be some assistance the doctor let me stay and help. I did stay on the other side of the curtain trying to make supportive noises while the more intimate part was going on though. C was a bit reluctant at first and needed a bit of gentle reassurance during the examination, but coped quite well. Nothing major was found, so it's down to steroid creams and back in 2 months to see if scarring has healed. Fingers crossed that one goes smoothly too.