Hospice

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
My Mom has been in the NH since the first week in July and has made the adjustment very well. She has been digressing the last couple of weeks and is loosing weight, down to 92 lbs. It is a mystery as she eats well so we can only surmise that it is just part of AD. I talked to the head nurse yesterday about calling in hospice and if it would benefit Mom to have them there. She said they have a nurse that will come in about 3 times a week to moniter her vitals, do a general check up, they have aids that will help in bathing her, thus freeing up the unit aids for other things, a minister and a social worker will make occasional visits and do things with her like read and music. I'm sold. I told her to have them do the assesment and see if they would accept her. We had already been told she qualifies so I am crossing my fingers. Apparently they are more lax when there is a AD diagnosis even if it isn't clear that they only have six months left. They will do a constant reassesment and can keep recertifying her for the service.
I will let you know what happens and of what value it has in her care.
Debbie

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hello rummy

it will be interesting to hear how you get on, my mums life expectancy was 12 months last february so i suppose we will be looking into that kind of care soon although at the moment she isnt too bad!!( i know i shouldnt have said that!!)
take care xx

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi Donna,
It is perplexing because you think of hospice as the last ditch thing you do as they are dying. I am finding that they do alot of things to help even if they have some time left, at least where AD is concerned. I am just trying to improve my Mom's quality of life as much as possible and it seems to be getting harder to figure out how to do that. I hope hospice will provide her with more care, more comfort and fuller days.
Debbie

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Rummy
I am just trying to improve my Mom's quality of life as much as possible and it seems to be getting harder to figure out how to do that.

this is the reason that I have agreed to join a PCT palliative care steering group.
Until now I don't think it has been considered for Dementia.
Norman

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Rummy
Palliative care is the active holistic care of patients with advanced progressive illness.
Management of pain and other symptoms and provision of psychological, social and spirirtual support is paramount. the goal of palliative care is achievement of the best quality of life for patients and their families.
Many aspects of palliative care are also applicable earlier in the course of the illness in conjunction with other treatments.
Phew,palliative care is not new of course but it is for AD, hence my wishing to get involved.
This group have produced a gap analysis and so much of it applies to AD.
Will keep us posted
Norman

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
(Brushing aside my gasps of horror at realising Palliative Care has never before been applied to AD ..... :( )

This sounds fantastic, Norman and keen to hear much more - just one concern .... don't want to put pressure on you - you are so giving of your time and efforts to help others.... hope you are looking after yourself, too?

I've been fascinated by Rummy's information on 'Hospice' and struggled to think of any equivalent in the UK - is that where the 'gap analysis' comes in????

Thanks to both of you for the info....

Love, Karen, x