Hospice care at home

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Hi My husband has just been awarded fast track CHC. He is being cared for at home. I have been using a lovely private carer who will still be looking after him as well. The hospice have arranged for a care call as additional help. On their first visit my husband was crying out for me, which he never does with our carer. Me and our carer hoist my husband whereas the hospice carers wouldn't use the hoist as there is no risk assessement, so they rolled him which caused distress to him (and me) I know it is early days and I feel I need the support from the hospice, but we have managed my husband for nearly 2 years with no upset being caused to him. The first day they are here and it feels like they are taking over and upsetting everything. I know I have to be strong here for both of us, but it is hard enough without this. Because they had rolled my husband, his position in the bed was too far down, so I had to use the hoist anyway to change his position, which I did with no distress to him.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sorry to hear that distress is being caused @chippiebites. I do hope it settles down - for all of your sakes. Wishing you strength.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Thank you both for your replies. I am sure it will improve, just feel a bit fragile and helpless. You just want everything to be as good as possible for your loved ones, when they are so vunerable and frightened, so unfair for them.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thank you both for your replies. I am sure it will improve, just feel a bit fragile and helpless. You just want everything to be as good as possible for your loved ones, when they are so vunerable and frightened, so unfair for them.

I’m glad you’re coming here for support. I know I found the support from fellow members invaluable in my husband’s last days.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Hi chippiebites, I'm sorry to hear your husband was upset by rolling, My OH doesn't like it when new carers are involved. I can roll him right over onto his side but with some carers he holds himself so stiff they can only just get a buttock of the mattress. It's obvious it's a case of him not trusting them, he thinks they will roll him on to the floor.
He also never bothered about being hoisted, however we have only needed to use it once in the last 5mths as he now is weight bearing and can stand for transfers.
Did you not get a risk assessment when you first got the hoist? One was done automatically for my OH when he came home from hospital and we had to use it, or do the hospice want one of their own?

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
Sounds like you are allowing the hospice carers too much freedom to do what they want to do. Stand over them and take control, tell them what to do and assist where required like with the hoist. After all, you only want what is best for your husband.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Hi @RosettaT . Thanks for your reply. We had a risk assessment done when we first started hoisting my Husband, which was about 18 months ago. The hospice need to have one of their own done, also there is going to be a number of different carers from the hospice and they will all have to be trained otherwise they will not use the hoist. My Husband was doing as yours did and holding himself rigidly, something he never does with me and his usual carer. He does have a hospital bed with cot sides so that has made him feel secure, so I hope he doesn't feel that he will fall out of bed.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
The next visit was much better. I gave my Husband some additional pain relief before he was moved and it was much less traumatic. I think he does need that now and I am going to be doing that whenever he is moved. His comfort is the priority now.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It shows one size doesn`t fit everyone @chippiebites

My husband was happy to be hoisted in his care home and in pain when he was rolled over in hospital. It seemed the hospital staff were under so much pressure, hoisting took too long.