hosp discharge

signalwren

Apr 12, 2010
lewes
Last Weds my husband went into unit for hip replacement. When I visited on Thurs he seemed fine but had had a serious bleed. thurs nite at midnite I was called by hosp to say he had gone beserk and pulled all his tubes and was rushing around with no crutches demanding to go home. He asked me to get tansport and I refused. He was eventually overpowered and sedated. On the Fri I contacted my CPN who came strait away and prescribed a sedative. He has had 2 more bleeds and refuses to co operate with nursing staff. He is also inconttinent. I have been under increasing pressure to take him home but have refused. On Mon I have an appt with the Health social worker and he will have a MME test. Both his sons say he should go into a home but they are Scotland. I am totally exhausted and dont know where to turn or what will happen next.

susiewoo

Oct 28, 2006
Bromley Kent
You sound shattered but are making good decisions refusing to take him home and contacting the CPN. Get those sons down asap and let them see the issues first hand. Don't hesitate because they sound quite happy to let you shoulder the whole thing and just sit back issuing orders.Perhaps they can find somewhere near them for their Father to move to?
My Mum had to have a hip redone and she was a nightmare and one of the family stayed with her all the time.....the most un-nerving experience...she also managed to walk 2 hours after surgery...no long term problems with hip thank god!

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi signalwren,

It is not unusual for some people with dementia to have a serious step down after an operation (the anesthesia is usually the main cause). Sometime they can become disoriented and delirious.

There is absolutely no way that you should take your husband home in his present state - no matter how much pressure the hospital puts on you.

You should read this factsheet from the Alzheimer's Society which explains the hospital discharge process:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/453

Your husband should have a thorough assessment of his care needs, including an assessment to see if he qualifies for NHS Continuing Healthcare or NHS Nursing care contribution.

Sometimes it is difficult to make long term decisions while the person is still recuperating. In that case, there can be a move to what is called 'intermediate care' - which might be a private care home or a small NHS unit - for 6 to 8 weeks to see how much your husband improves over time.

Take care,

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
You must b out of your mind wjth worry.
You are doing the right thing in refusing to take your husband home. If they cant cope , with the best will in the world, you certainly wont b able to .
It may be the anaesthesia, being in strange surrondings and fear that is making yourr husband react like this

Stay strong and keep on fighting . Your doing a grand job
((((((HUGS))))))

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petal705