horrendous cold

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Like Lady A feeling like death. Coughing till I start heaving. The worst cold I have had in years
How on earth am I supposed to stop oh getting it - or even look after him properly? He has difficulty swallowing already.
So so worried, don't know what to do for the best.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I've never had to care for a person with dementia when really ill, but I have (marginally) cared for small children in the same situation. I'm not sure how helpful this is: but you need to let all standards go. Appropriate food? who cares? Just get calories in some way even if that means an undiluted diet of cake. Washing? ditto. No one will die if they don't wash or brush their teeth for a couple of days. Anyone you can call on? This is the time to call in favours.

I'm really sorry you are feeling so rough.

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
so sorry bemused1. It's hard enough without us carers falling foul of the good health genie! I thought I had caught a summer cold last week, but it turned out to be hay fever - something I have never had to suffer before. Thankfully the wonderful chemist sold me some antihistamines and after a couple of days I was sneeze and runny nose free:):).
I hope you start to feel better soon.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
This is the situation we had just before Xmas, dad was too unwell to look after mum (who was also ill). SS got mum into emergency respite. See if you can get any joy from SS if you already have a contact there.
Otherwise there is little you can do to stop him getting the cold, lots of handwashing, or using the antibacterial hand gel and a real excess of clean tissues to cough into, discarded straight away into a bin with a lid, then hands cleaned. It's obvious stuff but I thought I'd mention it.
Get yourself plenty of lemsip, it is such a soothing way to take paracetamol.
Get a GP appointment as you are a carer and therefore an extremely important person.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello bemused l was poorly two weeks ago, l took colld relief medication it does help l always keep it in the cupboard this time of the year, it was difficult with hubby, as he can't do anything to help me, all he did was cry alot because l was ill, l couldn't cook dinner as l felt to poorly, l hope you get better soon ♡♡♡

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
This happened to me too, once I had whooping cough and I was worried about Girdon. He never caught anything. Like Jennifer says just do absolute essentials. I used to do morning care, then go back to bed, do lunch time care and go back to bed. Etc. hard but I managed.

This year after Gordon died I had this horrible virus fir 3 months, I know I couldnot have cared for him then.

Is there any way SS can step in? Sending love jeannette

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I feel for you bemused. I had this cold and awful cough a few months ago and the thought of being a full time carer at the same time was soul destroying.

Quote pamann

as he can't do anything to help me, all he did was cry alot because l was ill,
It`s so sad.
I remember once asking my husband to fetch me a glass of water when I was really ill and he said he couldn`t find the water.

This won`t help bemused now but I do suggest all carers have some prepared meals in the freezer, whether they be home cooked or ready meals , just for times such as these.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks everyone. Jeanette-ss forget it. It will take them ages to do anything because we are self funding , by which time I will be on the mend.
Just keeping everything is all right and carefully following all sistermillicent's reminders.
Sylvia I have ready meals delivered for husband because of swallowing problems and the last thing I want to do is eat.
It will pass but at the moment it doesn't feel like it

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Talking Point mobile app

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you have got the same lurgy as me then I feel for you :( Perhaps you could get a face mask from the chemist to restrict airborne germs

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hope you feel better soon bemused, sorry you're rough, look after you both best you can, as always;):) take carexx

Winnie10

Feb 25, 2013
cold

Just coped with your problem over Christmas.
Mum got cold and gave it to me.

Dragged myself out of bed to make tea/drinks (lemsip) first thing in the morning.
slept some more (in bed with mum holding her hand).

Stayed in PJ's, both of us all day/night.
cough medicine, did not sit well with Mum. Made poos' very loose.
Honey and lemon in hot water helped cough.
Made soup (easy to swallow and can be full of veg) I even put it in the blender to make it smoother for mum.
Made Ready-brek,(porridge) that has added vitamins.
Even ate tinned rice pudding
Forget housework.
Tissues, throw away and gel hands with sanitation product quicker than washing.
Wear a scarf over your mouth, stops the cough from being airborne, keeping it to yourself.
Shopping delivered by supermarket. They supplied lemsip
and cough medicine
Told friends I needed help, not the time to be your usual supper hero.
If your cough is very bad, could be a chest infection.
Get to doctors or get doctor to come to you. (I did this as Mum's cough was still there when mine had gone. Chest infection was the cause)

Lastly your doing a wonderful job, this is just a little glich in the works, it will pass and you will feeling better soon.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Husband says he has a sore throat oh no! And tonight's carers are so far 30 mins late.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Talking Point mobile app

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
The worst is past, still coughing but feel like I might live. So far,everything crossed, oh is so far alright. How does he DO that- everyone around him is coughing and sneezing except him. Some small mercies anyway. Just reading Lady As post, why do people clog up drs surgeries- ii is a really nasty little virus but most of us have to sit it out.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Glad you are feeling better. The cough seems to linger though. I still have mine from October.

Have been given an inhaler by gp which does help.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Husband is in early stages of this nasty little virus. Therefore off in another world. Dr. prescribed antibiotics for him as a prophylactic measure. Wouldn' t normally ask for this but with his existing swallow problems we didn't want to take chances.
Then this am I had to rush my adored dog to the vets- she was staggering around crashing into things and her back legs completely unstable.He is pretty sure its a vestibular event (inner ear) and there is no reason for her not to recover. But it may take a while and trying to keep a loony toons from racing around full pelt on vinyl flooring is something of a lost cause.
So now I have two patients to cope with.
The alternative to 'wait and see' I rejected out of hand.

What next?

Last edited:

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
You have your hands full. Hope your OH doesn't succumb to full blown virus and that your pup is better soon too.

Sent from my GT-N5110

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Oh No!! poochy problems always feel like the last straw for me. Glad you're feeling a little better or it would all be too much.

What am I talking about???
It IS all too much.

Hope there's less 'much' tomorrow and a bit more 'less'. :confused::) xxx

turmoil

Feb 3, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hey Bemused, you poor thing.

I hope the antibiotics will protect o/h against this awful virus, I also hope you feel stronger very soon.

Poor pooch, also hope stability returns to normal. They are a worry my Dads little fat dog has been in a buster collar for 8 Week, it always seems to come at the worst time.

Thinking of you

Turmoil x

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Hey Bemused, you poor thing.

I hope the antibiotics will protect o/h against this awful virus, I also hope you feel stronger very soon.

Poor pooch, also hope stability returns to normal. They are a worry my Dads little fat dog has been in a buster collar for 8 Week, it always seems to come at the worst time.

Thinking of you

Turmoil x

Great to hear from you! Have been watching out for you,wondering how things are.
Poor little fat dog, at least he/she is being well looked after. Mine is slightly improved and learning that vertigo and speed on a vinyl floor are not a good match!

Thanks for good wishes all . This nasty virus takes a while to come out so I'm on tenterhooks at the moment hoping oh will not be as bad as I have been. Fingers crossed for him and my poor girl who in the space of a week has become an old dog with health issues.