Horizon 9pm 25/3/08

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
One to either watch or avoid?

'How the human memory functions', featuring a man with early onset Alzheimers ........

Sorry, this may well belong in the Tea Room but wanted to give a 'heads up' to as many as can catch it - if indeed they wish to ...

Love, Karen, x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Many thanks Karen. Vaguely remember someone else flagging this up, but I had forgotten.

In my book 'one to watch' as it features "early onset dementia". so dear to my heart, with my Lionel being so young. (Well he was when he was diagnosed!!).

Anyway I digress. Can do no wrong to be featured here.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Well, I wish I'd taped it - a lot to take in ....... the bit about parts of the brain being 'overworked' when we are told to 'exercise' it?????? :confused: Autobiographical memory compared to 'learnt memory' .......??? Scientific evidence of subduing memory but not yet how to stimulate it?

Fascinating ...... but most uplifting moment for me was 'John' (diagnosed at 53) ... saying 'Forget it!' (no irony there then!!!!) 'Life is for living'!!!!! Hurrah that man!!!!!! :) So what he couldn't sort the breakfast plates out? I thought it gave messages of huge, huge dignity ......:) Fantastic all those that took part ......

Karen, x

DuskStar

Mar 22, 2008
I think you'll be able to watch it again through BBC's iPlayer if you wanted to.

I thought it was pretty good :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We watched it together.

There was no way I could have drawn the diagram from memory. Should I be concerned?

When `John` was trying to find the plates;
S `He has the same trouble as you.`
D `What are you talking about?`
S `Look. He is opening every cupboard to find the plates. That`s what you do.`
D `When have I ever asked for help? Do I ever say I can`t find anything? He has Alzheimers. My Alzheimers has gone now.`

[Shut up Sylvia.:eek:]

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Funny how we want to identify.

After a while you realise you cannot.
'John' (diagnosed at 53) ... saying 'Forget it!' (no irony there then!!!!) 'Life is for living'!!!!! Hurrah that man!!

I used to think like that when I looked at Lionel, trying to learn a new piece of poetry every day, then saying to me.......
"Don't worry, life is good..........today is as good as it is ever going to get......enjoy"

Now, I cannot even try to identify 'back then', as I look at the man he has become.

Incidently, Lionel at his very best could never do the drawings!!!

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
One thing that puzzles me and have been reflecting on more again since the programme tonight - what is the difference between 'amnesia' and dementia?

I know I could probably just 'google it' and try to find out for myself ....... but I would be interested in other peoples' thoughts ..... if I thought my mum had 'amnesia with a dash of depression' I could still live completely in denial? Whereas with dementia it is irreversible and no denying? :confused:

Love Karen, x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Amnesia is memory loss. Dementia is memory loss plus loss of cognitive function plus loss of insight.

I think with Amnesia, the physical function of the body remains unaffected, but dementia affects the total physique. IMO

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Karen, initially after my mother strokes the only thing they would say for sure was short-term memory loss aka anterior retrograde amnesia. This seemed quite positive because if that the only deficiet it is possible for some people to "work around" it - you can put a calendar on a door and they will know what it is, they may not know where something is, but they have an idea where it won't be (shoes won't be in the fridge for example). It's the loss of congnitive function and insigt as

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Karen, initially after my mother strokes the only thing they would say for sure was short-term memory loss aka anterior retrograde amnesia. This seemed quite positive because if that the only deficeit it is possible for some people to "work around" it - you can put a calendar on a door and they will know what it is, they may not know where something is, but they have an idea where it won't be (shoes won't be in the fridge for example). It's the loss of congnitive function and insight as Sylvia says that makes the difference.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi all,

I have known John for about two years, and he is always the same, as are many like him who have this illness. Like John and many others, we decided early on that we were not giving into this illness, but in our own little way we were going to fight it, while getting on with Life while we can.
John is a quiet man who does not say much, but what he does say is powerful enough.

Regards
Ken

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Excellent programme, so, many thanks Karen!

Seeing John in the kitchen brought back bitter-sweet memories of a time long ago [and it begins to feel like a galaxy far, far away] when Jan would be the same in the kitchen, and almost any room in the house.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I got eMac , so it keep stopping staring :rolleyes:. I am wondering if Jennifer has any tip to know what to do to get it to work could Jennifer PM me please with them , as I know she has Apple Mac thanks .