Hopefully my laddo is coming home soon

sammyb

Sep 19, 2007
Nottingham
Having been in hospital for over 6 months now, with the exception of just 6 weeks at the beginning, my husband should be coming home soon. Week beginning 12th November all being well. The ward can do no more to help him from a nursing or eating/drinking point of view so I have done three lots of food visits today although he has only had fortisips each time. But I am sure the eating side of things should improve when he comes home. Hope so anyway. My husband has gone from saying that he doesn't want to come home, to 'You'll be very lucky if I do come home' (in a 'I will be doing you a favour if I do' manner) to saying today that he doubts whether the hospital will ever let him go. I am not sure quite how I can convince him otherwise because he really doesn't want to talk about it. What's going on in him do you think? I met with the SW today and the care package is being put in place and the OT and Physio come next week for a final home assessment. Then fingers crossed. I daren't even think about the time he comes home. We have had so many setbacks that I daren't begin to believe it might be true.

Love from Sammyb

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sammy

That sounds really good news.

I should think that after six months in hospital, your husband is a bit nervous about coming home. I think you should just try to be always upbeat about it, and emphasise how much you are looking forward to it.

I do hope it all goes well for you.

Love,

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi Sammy,good news is always welcome.Skye may have hit on the problemHe may be nervous and could even be considering you.Lets hope all goes well and the move home is a smooth one.Thinking of you.love elaiex

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Sammy,

I was in hospital for only two weeks and home looked so strange when I returned.
I imagine , as your husband has been, and still is, so poorly, he won`t be sure how he feels.
It also sounds as if he is trying to protect himself from disappointment, just in case something goes wrong at the last minute.

I do hope it all goes well and will keep all fingers crossed for you.

Love xx

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Sammy,

I'll cross my fingers for you also. I hope that everything goes well and your hubby comes home and settles without fuss. Regards Taffy.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
My mum was away from her bedroom in the Care Home for only 5 days (having been there for three months), and could not find the bed (she was looking in the en-suite toilet for it).

Take care, make sure he learns about the house, and what is where, very slowly.

Then give him a nice, small meal of his favourite food, and put him to bed early, cos it will all have been a strain for him (you might have to check on him during the night). The second day will probably be a shock. Where am I? comes to mind. So you will have to go through it all again. I hope he hasn't forgotten that is his home, but after 6 months, who knows? You will have to play it by ear.

Much luck

Margaret

sammyb

Sep 19, 2007
Nottingham
Thank you everybody for your thoughts and I think, Margaret, I will be staying up all night for a few days/nights when he comes home. We have stairs you see and his current ward hasn't and I suspect he will have forgotten about stairs. I have a week to go approximately I think so lots of stuff is being installed; bath seat, extra banister, baby alarm, pressure pad alarm under the carpet coming out of the bedroom, pressure mattress - has anybody any other thoughts on what I should have please?

Love from Sammyb

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
You mention stairs, Sammy. What about a baby barrier at the top of the stairs? I know someone whose wife fell down the stairs during the night and ended up in a nursing home after the hospital. If you think the stairs may be an issue, a barrier might be a good idea for the nighttime.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Yep, baby gate was first on my mind. Assuming you have toilet facilities upstairs. If not, a commode is essential. Acutally, a caravan portaloo is so much nicer, probably cost about £50 nowadays (if you are near Derbyshire you can borrow mine for 6 months), but we've a touring van and the portaloo is vital. It's just like a proper toilet and can be flushed (he might find that a bit difficult), but far better than a commode if you can afford it.

Hope you cope. Good luck.

Margaret

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Just a warning about baby gates. They're meant for babies, so are normally only waist-high. It would be easy for an able-bodied person to try to climb over, and have a bad fall down the stairs.

I know John would have done this.

sammyb

Sep 19, 2007
Nottingham
Have been looking at stair gates. If I do decide on one I have thought it best to raise it a couple of feet off the ground not least because little dog Jack will come hurtling up the stairs only to be confronted by a barrier. So raising one would enable him to squeeze under whilst hoping that laddo doesn't climb over. And laddo isn't into limbo dancing - or wasn't! I'll have more thoughts. Meanwhile I am testing out the baby alarm tonight!

Love from Sammyb

Sep 21, 2005
bradford
Hope every thing goes as smoothly as poss with the home coming, think you can purchase a gate meant for keeping animals in which is much taller than the child gate, meant to purchase one myself ,but never got round to it. now just push setee in front of door and the noise he makes moving it in the night in the dark awakens me, not ideal but it seems to work for us. take care Pam