Hope for dementia patients

Donbon79

May 26, 2011
Blackpool, Lancashire
I saw an article today about a woman in New Zeland who surfaced from her dementia for one day, was completely lucid and knew everything about the people who cared for her, where she lived etc.

Kind of wish my mum could have the same lucid day that this lady did. It'd be nice to be able to have a conversation and hear her laugh again.

The article said this lady was proof that dementia patients are fully aware of what's going on around them. if it is true I can't help worry that my mum would be very angry with me for her being in a care home. I guess it'd be worth it though for just one 'normal' day.

Another part of me hopes that she's not aware like the article states. If she was, she'd be so upset about the way is she and where she is. She sometimes looks at me in a certain way and it makes me think that inside she's furious with me for her situation. It's easier to believe she's completely oblivious to it all and therefore content.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
My mum had a clear day recently when i visited. She chatted as if she did not have dementia. She told me i had chosen a good place for her, asked if she could afford it and talked of so many things. Being able to hear that and tell her she could stay there for ever was a huge thing for me. The next day she thought she was on holiday and in a hotel as her new friend thought that too. She said it was a lovely hotel! Your mum would be happy to know your are with her and lookibg after her. Its not about location, its about love. You are doing your best so please be kind to yourself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba