Honeymoon

LolaJane

Jun 24, 2014
St aughustine fl
Is there a "honeymoon" phase when placement in ALF occurs? My mother has been suffering from dementia for the past 4 years. It has progressed to the point that she needed 24-7 supervision. We had been told that it would take 2-6 months to get into a good ALF. The small private 10-bed facility that we preferred all along had just added 5 beds. Mom was placed within 2 weeks. WOW that was faster than we ever though possible. She has been there for 3 weeks now and everything, and I DO mean everything has gone remarkably well. She never wanted to go to any facility and we lied to her and told her it was temporary while we had extreme plumbing problems. After 10 days, we told her she would be staying there. She wasn't thrilled but she quietly accepted it. We have gone out for cocktails, dinner and dancing once. I was so afraid that she would not want to go back, but that was not the case at all. She smiles and laughs when I see her in the ALF. She likes the staff and the food. I can't believe it. I keep waiting for the other shoe to fall.

Has anyone else experienced a "honeymoon" period? And when will the honeymoon be over. Not that I am complaining. Who doesn't love a great honeymoon?

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
What is an AFL please? I've never heard of this.

If she is happy there then that's all that matters in the long run. You have been lucky and from your post, you are very grateful for this. No one can predict the future but just be glad that, for now, she is settling nicely.

xxTinaT

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"What is an AFL please? I've never heard of this."

You have made a typo, the OP said ALF.

The OP appears to be Florida and I think ALF is Assisted Living Facility

LolaJane

Jun 24, 2014
St aughustine fl
The honeymoon is definitely over! Mom was sobbing to go home 2 days ago. Up until this point, since Feb 1, she has been content at her facility. Suddenly she became erratic, sobbing and inconsolable. Her meds are being adjusted. She used to fold laundry all the time. Now nothing. It broke my heart when she cried, "No. No. Don't make me stay here. I don't need anybody to take care of me" which, of course, she does. Yesterday when I visited, she didn't sob, but still wanting to know when I would be taking her home. I told her tomorrow!