Home visit carers....

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
... they can be frustrating, can't they? The company we have seem to be a pain. whenever I call to complain about something, they have an excuse (the company that is).

not one to complain about tiny things. But carers started giving my diabetic dad dinner at 3pm. Despite food needing to be at 5pm. I can deal with it being a tad earlier or later as he gets a snack around 8pm. But earlier leads to all sorts of trouble.

Some of the carers are amazing, one in particular (my dad dislikes!) calls me whenever dad has an issue, has given me advice on pads, and good moisturisers, ask for instructions etc. But some of them... I just don't know... Today the carer wrote in the book they were there before I had left for work. This evening dads pad was so full, like it hadn't been changed all day, despite the book say it was checked on each visit. What to do?

Advice needed with dealing with half arsed home visit carers!

Rosalind297

Oct 14, 2017
I can’t give you any advice as I care for Mum myself (so, come to think of it, I do actually shout (inwardly) at the carer a lot). I just wanted to say, I love your user name. Roddy Frame is a genius. I saw him live a few times back when I had a life. Good luck with sorting things out.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I know the feeling! My dad has some good ones and some half assed as well.
I had to put in a complaint to the manager of the care company about how they have dealt with dad.
My dad is also diabetic and doesn’t get up until 8.45 when they come to get him up out of bed(2 carers). Then they are back at 11am to give him dinner.Back at 4pm for tea then 18.00 to put him back into bed.

I have also complained to the company as well that carers are not wearing ID.(CQC requirement plus it is the law)Again no response.
If I do not get a response to my complaints by the managers I will go to CQC.

Like you I have a book which I leave notes for the carers,but some do not read it.So other than to keep notes and badgering the managers no other suggestions,other than change care company.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I know the feeling! My dad has some good ones and some half assed as well.
I had to put in a complaint to the manager of the care company about how they have dealt with dad.
My dad is also diabetic and doesn’t get up until 8.45 when they come to get him up out of bed(2 carers). Then they are back at 11am to give him dinner.Back at 4pm for tea then 18.00 to put him back into bed.

I have also complained to the company as well that carers are not wearing ID.(CQC requirement plus it is the law)Again no response.
If I do not get a response to my complaints by the managers I will go to CQC.

Like you I have a book which I leave notes for the carers,but some do not read it.So other than to keep notes and badgering the managers no other suggestions,other than change care company.
PS. I have also taken photos of my dads leg etc(he had cancer but not one of them reported it.Luckily I spotted it and got the doctor in.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry you are having trouble with a care agency @AztecCamera87. It is frustrating especially when so many individuals do help with advice, but the management won't deal with the less satisfactory ones. Sadly, I had little support from CQC when a previous agency refused to accept their staff had falsely recorded a visiting time despite my telephone call being made long before the time recorded in the book. It took us 3 goes to get a good one, which is stressful, but worth it I thought, and that was via Social Services.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
... they can be frustrating, can't they? The company we have seem to be a pain. whenever I call to complain about something, they have an excuse (the company that is).

not one to complain about tiny things. But carers started giving my diabetic dad dinner at 3pm. Despite food needing to be at 5pm. I can deal with it being a tad earlier or later as he gets a snack around 8pm. But earlier leads to all sorts of trouble.

Some of the carers are amazing, one in particular (my dad dislikes!) calls me whenever dad has an issue, has given me advice on pads, and good moisturisers, ask for instructions etc. But some of them... I just don't know... Today the carer wrote in the book they were there before I had left for work. This evening dads pad was so full, like it hadn't been changed all day, despite the book say it was checked on each visit. What to do?

Advice needed with dealing with half arsed home visit carers!
Very difficult, my mother-in-law had carers, privately funded and I found I had to be on top of any problems pretty quickly. The agency had signed up to an app which I had on my smartphone, which the carers wrote all their visits and times. I could check on visits virtually as they happened and raise issues with the office via the app.

Lateness was an issue, especially at lunchtime, which would trigger mother-in-law agitation. No magic answers I'm afraid, you just have to keep raising the issue, especially in writing. I was so vociferous, that when I phoned the agency, all I had to say was my first name and not mother-in-law, the switchboard would put me straight through to the manager

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
From what you have said I assume this is self-funded care, not SS?

My mother had self-funded care from an agency and they were really good. I was only aware of them being more than a few minutes late once or twice. She had carers from 9-1 and then again from 6-7, and in fact the evening carer sometimes stayed on free of charge to keep my mother company - they were really proactive and wanted to do the best for her. She had two main carers who she really liked, and when a new carer was introduced who she didn't like (just because she "wasn't cheerful enough"!) the agency changed her straight away.

If this is privately funded, and you are not happy, try a different agency.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH, self funding, has a core of 4 main carers with another 2-3 carers who fill in 2-3 times each week, they are all brilliant. They really care, promote independance and always encourage OH to do different things. There are 1 or 2 I am not so keen on from a personality point of view but from a caring view he couldn't have better. I just wish the management would let me know, as they are supposed too, when there is a carer change from the rota, as the disappointment on hubbies face is apparent when I tell him xxxx is coming and it's a different one that pitches up!