Home on Lock Down

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife's home is closed to visitors at the moment due to an outbreak of scabies, I still go everyday so do some of the other visitors.
I'm quite happy to show my fine physique to the nurse to prove I didn't bring it in, however, not many people die from scabies, infections caused from the scratching may cause sepsis but other than that it's not really fatal.
E-Coli or similar may be and it spreads a whole lot easier and can be much more life threatening in older people so is a whole different matter, it spreads much more easily, it should be manageable fairly quicker and the home have to worry about visitors getting it there and either becoming seriously ill or suing them.
I think the home should notify the person who's the next of kin then leave it up to them to notify other possible visitors, some of the residents in the home have a huge number of different people visit and I wouldn't expect the home to sit down and contact them all, how could they even do that?
K

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My Mums Care Home has 40 residents across 2 wings. The twice they have been on lockdown they email the POA/NOK to advise and phone the few that have phne only or send a letter. For anyone else they have signs up on the main doors.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
I know some of the nursing homes here send out a message on your mobile phone if there is a lock down. I was lucky in that Mum's nursing home was seven minutes away from where I live and my husband's was 15 minutes away so not too much time wasted if I didn't get the message. It used to be strange though when I didn't get to visit every day and I really hated the longer shut downs.

The nursing homes here would not be shut down due to scabies but would have the wards or sections closed depending on how many cases there were. As a visitor for the church I have to remember to wash my hands after each patient I visit before I go on to the next one in case I am responsible for spreading germs without realising I am doing so.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
The twice my Mums CH was on lockdown it was 17 & 14 days before we could visit. Touchwood Mum didnt get it, and was none the wiser or none the worse for wear. It is hard though and you cant stop fretting . (( hugs))