Home from Respite

Jane.B

Dec 7, 2007
Hampshire
My husband came home from two weeks respite care on tuesday afternoon, and spent most of wednesday and thursday sleeping, but yesterday he was more or less back to his normal self, His sitter who came in the afternoon said he'd been quite restless changing from one chair to another, then wandering about the house, but although the sundowning can be quite tiring, it does mean he's back to his old self. We went out this afternoon, I have to push him in his wheel chair as we don't have a car, and he can't do busses any more. We went to Costa for tea and cake, and the way he ate the cake you'd have thought he was starving, but he didn't want to stay long. He seems to have lost quite a bit of weight in respite, just as I'd started building him up from the time when he lost his appetite.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello:

I find your report interesting as my husband is due for his first respite week and I am a little nervous about it.

You mention possible loss of weight - do the staff of the respite place report to you on his attitude and behaviour whilst away from you?

It sounds as though his appetite will return if he enjoyed the cake so much.

Best wishes Jan

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My mother never seem to come back looking like she lost weight , but thinking about it my mother been to quite a few different care home she had for respite .

That they was one that she went two twice that I said I did not want her going they anymore because she came back life less, I gave it the benefit of the dough so sent her they for a 2nd time , but compared to the one she had after going to that care home she came home looking much more motivated .

You mention possible loss of weight - do the staff of the respite place report to you on his attitude and behaviour whilst away from you?

I only had that when mum went on her very first few respite , but then I was ringing during the week finding out how she was getting on and mum back then would ask the staff to ring me .

Jane.B

Dec 7, 2007
Hampshire
Rupert's been to the same care home 6 times and it's a lovely place, he has one carer who is very fond of him and always seems pleased to see him. but this time they said he was more restless than usual, but was eating well, but when he came home he refused to sit at the table, and had to have a tray on his lap, I do know that he doesn't like to have his meals in the dining room, and always has them in his room. Tonight for the first time he came to the table for supper, and ate on his own, with only a little prompting from me, so I think he will be putting that weight on again very soon.