Home from hospital very unsettled.

netsy22

Oct 31, 2015
Mum came home on Wednesday but is very confused and disorientated. (Doesn't recognise her flat, had to re-learn how to use the remote, etc, keeps asking where her clothes are.) The re-enablement service came round on Thursday and they are going to visit her twice a day, morning and lunchtime, make sure she has her meds and meals, for 6 weeks!! So pleased with this. then they will assess if she needs continuing care. She rang me yesterday to say she had been on her own all afternoon (not true) and where was everyone? She was opening the door and looking for people. This morning she rang to say 2 people had called to tell her that she could go home and what was she to do? (very upset, I think it was a dream.) This is a very trying time for us, I am not feeling too well myself and feel as though the life is being sucked out of me with this total dependence. Much much worse than a child.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi netsy22
it's good that your mum will have some home care visits from the re-ablement team - I found they were the best carers I came across, very capable and pro-active - they noticed some things I had missed and made suggestions which helped me care for dad
I am concerned, though, to read that your mum is opening the door and looking for people - dad did this, and it led to walking out to look further, then wandering - sorry, I may be warning of something that won't be the case for your mum
do you have a door alarm system in place? - dad had a telecare system installed through the LA and it was really helpful - might be worth asking about
I hope your mum recuperates well
best wishes

Jessie107

Aug 11, 2016
Brighton
My mum was also very disorientated when she came out of hospital three months ago.
It took about a week for her to settle down, she was desperate to get out of hospital and when we did get her home she was agitated, confused and didn't know how to get the t.v on. She also had a few episodes of saying she wanted to go home even though she was, it was quite a stressful time.
I think the whole going into hospital is not good for someone with dementia and can completely throw them into confusion, with the change of environment.
As my mum's alzhiemers had got worse, we gave up our jobs and now look after her in her home. My sister goes in the morning, I take over for the afternoon and my brother stays the night. It is hard though even with three of us doing it and now she is quite aggressive verbally but refuses medication!
Anyway don't want to ramble, I hope your mum soon settles down again.
Jessie

netsy22

Oct 31, 2015
Thanks for the advice

Yes a she did have an infection which was cleared in the hospital. Thanks for all the replies helpful to see that her confusion is not unique.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN