Home carers gave wrong medication.

Mini-me

Apr 1, 2020
Hi everyone. Last week a carer employed by a home care agency, administered the wrong medication to my father: a cocktail of 9 tablets from a blister pack of my mother's. Over the next few days dad suffered a fall, a slip out of the bed, increased breathlessness, and eventually a hospital admission. Dad was tested for suspected Coronavirus and spent 2 nights on an isolation ward. A phone call from a consultant was to ask my opinion on resuscitation should dad's heart fail. I was frantic!

I have initiated a safeguarding referral, as has the hospital. Naturally I have cancelled all calls from the care agency. Dad is home now. He has been affected by the trauma: mobility, incontinence, increased confusion.

I, and the family, are now caring for him around the clock. The challenge is to have a reassessment of dad's care needs, identify a new care agency and re-establish a home care package and to get an OT referral for equipment (bed guard, transfer mat, riser chair, incontinence supplies etc).

All services have been affected with the lockdown. Looks like I will be sleeping next to him on a garden recliner chair for some time!

I guess I'm posting just to vent and let off steam. Thanks for reading.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
That's a terrible thing to happen to your father. I hope he gets back to some semblance of his former self soon.

What a thing for you at this time. I wish you strength and hope you have luck with the various services.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
How awful @Mini-me, I hope you eventually get more effective services in place when you can. Wishing your strength.

millalm

Oct 9, 2019
@Mini-me I'm sorry to hear about the mix up with your Dad's pills but I have to ask you that with everything that is going on do you really want to be left without carers? I can honestly tell you that over a period of several years I personally mixed up medication on (RARE) occasions for both of my parents. I would suggest that since this happened that care agency is going to go above and beyond to remind their staff about the dangers of giving correct medication. Maybe ask for a different carer if there were other concerns, about the individual but really and truly, anyone can make a mistake, particularly in these stressful times . I don't want you to think I am unsympathetic, it's just that I have been in carer mode for one or the other parent for 20 long years so I guess I am little more resigned to accepting that these things can happen. I just worry about the stress no carers will mean for you. Best of Luck

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I'm with Millaim, Yes its hard, but mistakes happen- caring 24/7 yourself will be a killer, and I defy you not to make a mistake or two.

get things well and truly sorted your end- keep tablets apart for one- and move on.
Caring 24/7 in the current climate will do neither of you any favours.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh golly, thats terrible. It is, however, extremely rare, so please dont tar all carers with same brush. Im glad you are going to try a different care agency . It really doesnt sound like you will be able to keep caring for your Dad for long, so you might have to keep on at SS before you get a new assessment. I hope its not long.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Under normal circumstances it took the LA around six weeks to get new carers in place for The Banjoman so you could be in for a long hard slog I’m afraid.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I hope your dad feels better soon but could I remind everyone whose PWD to keep an eye on repeat prescriptions in a care home as well because just over a year ago I took dad to one of his prescription reviews and found that the surgery had put him back on medication which was taken off his prescription. Now the home would not have known that he was not supposed to be on that medication so this incident made me more vigilant.

MaNaAk

Mini-me

Apr 1, 2020
That's a terrible thing to happen to your father. I hope he gets back to some semblance of his former self soon.

What a thing for you at this time. I wish you strength and hope you have luck with the various services.
Thank you so much x

Mini-me

Apr 1, 2020
@Mini-me I'm sorry to hear about the mix up with your Dad's pills but I have to ask you that with everything that is going on do you really want to be left without carers? I can honestly tell you that over a period of several years I personally mixed up medication on (RARE) occasions for both of my parents. I would suggest that since this happened that care agency is going to go above and beyond to remind their staff about the dangers of giving correct medication. Maybe ask for a different carer if there were other concerns, about the individual but really and truly, anyone can make a mistake, particularly in these stressful times . I don't want you to think I am unsympathetic, it's just that I have been in carer mode for one or the other parent for 20 long years so I guess I am little more resigned to accepting that these things can happen. I just worry about the stress no carers will mean for you. Best of Luck

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
they should be trained in admin meds then they could check several things before they give it i was trained and there are 4 rs right person right medicine the right way for the right reason.it could of caused a lot of damage. if we make mistake its understandable but if professional carers who should be trained that is very wrong and unprofessional. i know i rant but i was trained to quite a high standard and it frightens me when things go wrong. off my soap box. im glad your dad is ok and hope you get help very soon you are just one person not a miracle worker.

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
It must have been such a worry for you Mini-me and your poor dad having to be admitted to hospital.

I hear what others say about anyone can make a mistake (me especially) but it’s not something you expect from professional Carers. I expect your confidence in the current Carers has been shaken and I understand that you are looking for another provider even though it will be hard for you.

I’m with jennifer 1967 on this, the Carers should be trained and follow the strict checks before administering medication, after all their mistake could have resulted in serious consequences.

I hope your dad starts to feel better soon and you can arrange a new care package to help x

Beckyx1991

Apr 18, 2020
North West
So sorry to hear about this, wish I your dad a speedy recovery.
As an ex home care worker for 7 years, unfortunately mistakes do happen, with new or experienced carers, they are human, and probably very tired at the moment.
Let’s at least be thankful that this carer held their hands up to her mistake and it was able to be rectified rather than not say anything, albeit with sad consequences.
Wishing your dad a speedy and safe recovery.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27