home care

elaine1961

May 29, 2015
cheshire
Just trying to get started iwith my mum domicillary home care expecting an appointment with social services can anyone share any tips or information that can help me to get my mum through this transition as i still work

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Are you clear about what you want them to do, give medication, meals, help with personal hygiene? Whatever you do, don't take on yourself the things that you can' t manage, and don't under play things with the social worker, give her/him the worst case scenarios.
If they can get you to do it for free, they will!
good luck.

win

Oct 14, 2012
Are you clear about what you want them to do, give medication, meals, help with personal hygiene? Whatever you do, don't take on yourself the things that you can' t manage, and don't under play things with the social worker, give her/him the worst case scenarios.
If they can get you to do it for free, they will!
good luck.

Get a care plan in place before the carers start working and any required equipment. Make sure you understand how to use this yourself before the carers attend.

Work with them initially (if not all the time) to ensure they work to your mother's and your standards. Give them a chance, they can become indispensable if you look after them. Hopefully they will log in and out so you know they are there the specified time.

Never to ask your mother what she would like doing, she will probably say nothing I am alright, but to do what it states in the care plan regardless. Make sure they understand her medication,, how to prompt and how to check she has taken the right medicine at the right time of day.

To contact you with any issues and to write in the care log precisely what they have done at each session. This becomes useful for later issues.

To have their phones switched off whilst with your mother and to sit and speak with her if there is any time left after the jobs are done.

To post you/your mother a weekly list in advance of times and carers attending and
to phone you if a replacement carer is coming, also if they are running more than 15 minutes late.

I could go on but I think this is enough for now. Make sure your have the domiciliary company owner's name and email address, you will need this without a doubt. Get to know her well.

Good luck x

little shettie

Nov 10, 2009
I would say keep an eye on the carers and make sure they are doing what they should! I had a total nightmare with care agencies when mum lived alone, they were taking the mickey, coming and going at what times suited them instead of what mum needed! If you get a good carer, which hopefully you will, then try and meet them at your mums and tell them yourself what you'd like them do. My mum was uncooperative with carers at first but I found some of them were very young and did not have a clue how to approach her! Dementia trained indeed. Its all trial and error to begin with but though I had a bad experience, at least I knew someone was going in and I knew mum was ok at least for that time they were there. I think the hard bit was getting them to stay with mum for the allotted time and I'd say make them aware you expect them to do so. My mum would tell them she didn't need anything and they'd be out the door in 5 mins, and she was supposed to have an hour call!! Good luck and make sure the agency know you are around and sticking up for your mum otherwise you may find same problem as me! xx

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
When my mum was living on her own I used to leave notes in large writing everywhere for the carer's, pinned to doors etc., Some carer's are better than others, even if you have a care plan it is unlikely they will have time to read it. I think this situation works better if the person with dementia is compliant, my mum was not!!