Home Alone

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
We are reminded to give some thought for 'old folk' living alone at this time of the year. It must be a very sad and lonely period for them.

This year I expect to spend the Christmas period alone, but I'm not too concerned as of today. On Saturday morning around five o'clock I bent over to put on my track suit bottom when I lost my balance and fell backward. The full impact of the fall was against the sharp corner of a dresser. It struck below the rear right rib cage. My arm was damaged in two places and the pain was unbearable. As our daughter is on holiday in Spain for the holidays the only person I knew to contact was our son. Unfortunately he lives some distance away and is disabled, but he managed to get to me and arrange a visit from the para-medics. My inside organs are bruised and I have to take pain killers four times a day.
The good news is that there's a slight improvement and can now get about a little. So Christmas will be fine as I've got all my food in and I plan to have sausage, egg and baked been for Christmas dinner. In addition I've bought a new computer and can speak to our daughter using skype. She is the most wonderful gift my late wife bestowed on me.
There is so much to be thankful for: a warm house, cloths and food. With a little luck I'll attempt to get back running and live life my way.

J D M

Nov 26, 2015
Scotland
Pagraig. I also will be alone this Christmas but as I have learnt I am never alone as we all have our friends here on Talking Point to talk too and get support from. Sorry to hear about your accident and hope that you recover soon. Don`t be lonely at Christmas my friend come on here and share it with us.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Padraig, That sounds like a nasty accident. I hope the painkillers are helping with the pain.
I commend you for your positive attitude.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Ouch Padraig!! You must be very sore. I'm glad you're keeping your spirits up though, and you will be able to speak to your daughter. Your children both sound amazing. Hope you are feeling better soon.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
You are a shining example Padraig. I will try to adopt some of your positivity. x

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I have had a few Christmases that I have chosen to spend on my own. Started the day with some voluntary work for a few hours and then home for baked beans and sausage on toast. Then an afternoon in my pj's feet up on the sofa to watch a few films.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Sorry to read about your fall, Padraig. Fall back onto the bed next time!
It must have been very painful, but it's good to know you are feeling positive, as always.
You are so right -- we are fortunate to be in warm homes, with enough to eat, and clothed against the elements, when so many across the world have nowhere, and nothing to sustain them. Even closer to home, in my nearest town there are people whose homes are flood damaged, cold and unfit for habitation, and they have my sympathy also.
Enjoy your sausages, eggs and beans, Padraig, and all good wishes for 2016.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I have had a few Christmases that I have chosen to spend on my own. Started the day with some voluntary work for a few hours and then home for baked beans and sausage on toast. Then an afternoon in my pj's feet up on the sofa to watch a few films.

Sorry Padraig, forgot to add that I hope aches and pains pass fast and you are warm and comfy on Christmas day.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Ouchy! That sounds painful and frightening! I hope that the painkillers do their job, that you enjoy your Home Alone Christmas and that your injuries heal in double fast time.

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Thank you all so very much for your kind messages. An other day and a little less pain.
The longer I survive the more I expect the unexpected. At least I'll learn to be a bit more careful.
I've learned a long time ago that all of life is made up of positives and negatives. To truly appreciate sunny days one needs to experience bitter cold and rain. With deep abiding love comes heartache and pain.

When I look back on Christmases past in my childhood days I'm aware how much I missed out on. At the time I found Christmas exciting. There were three of us boys worked on the poultry farm in my final years of detention. I served 14 years in all, from the age of two. We worked late into the night plucking chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese. I never new what happened to the birds, till I was in my sixties, when I read a story in one of the national papers. The livestock was sold on to the retail market! In all my years up to age sixteen I'd never tasted chicken and many other foods. The Inspector of the institution reported; "The livestock are better fed than the boys."

Those early years taught me to appreciate food. As a result I can't bare to waste any.
The two best gifts I discovered was to discover and share the love of a special person, and to savour each moment of time together.
The negatives of a stolen childhood gave me the positive approach to cherish my wife all the more when Alzheimer's struck. So many warm sweet memories, thank God.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so glad you had such a positive exoerience in contrast to your early years. It's clear to see how much you cherished your wife.

Wishing a peaceful festive season.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Padraig,hope you're soon feeling much better and less sore. Wishing you as good a Christmas as you can manage. xxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
Thinking of you this morning and hoping the pain is reducing. You have such resilience I really admire what positive things you taken from difficult times. Enjoy your day, and spoil yourself. Happy Christmas.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Padraig - I hope the pain is diminishing day by day. Thank you so much for your positivity in spite of much adversity in your life.

Hubby and I are at home today - no family visiting and sadly no conversation as hubby's dementia advances but I am thankful that, for now, he is still at home.

Your message has touched many of us here on TP I am sure, so please receive our warmest good wishes for your recovery. Hope you get your wish to be able to get back to running again soon - wow, well done! xx

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Thank you all for your kind wishes. It's not been the best of days so far, a lot of pain. There are days that I'm reminded I have no stomach and I have to watch what and how much I eat. I was hoping for a quiet day and not trouble anyone. Unfortunately our youngest granddaughter turned up with her four year old daughter. There was no hiding my pain. I'll reassure her later as soon as I feel better.

Don't think I'll ever get the hang of others caring about me. I always feel it to be my roll in life to care for others, it gives purpose to life. Our daughter use to always say: "Dad, I'm no longer a little girl." She may be 58 but I'm still her father. So long as I'm alive I'll be there for them. I can't begin to imagine the trauma and pain so many of you go through at the thought of losing a Dad or Mom, plus to watch them slowly fade. All I can do is remember you in my prayers.

Our son visited yesterday and gave me a beautiful framed photo of his Mom.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
You sound just like my mum and dad, Padraig - it was lovely knowing I was always their little girl no matter what
and one of the greatest gifts each of them ever gave to me was to gracefully allow me to care for them in their later years - it's a privilege to repay all my dad's care for me and humbling how much he trusts me - it's a great joy to know that I make life better for him, if bitter-sweet because of his condition
thank you for your prayers
I hope your pain abates

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Thank you Cath. Each of us are the result of our parents' efforts in raising, guiding and by example in our early years. Though there was no one there for me I had the good fortune to learn by trial and error and was not influenced by conventional thinking. It's now referred to as 'thinking outside of the box.'

There was so much to learn in the outside world. I had to learn my date of birth when I opted to join the UK forces as the age requirement was seventeen and a half. As for Christmas, the first present I ever received was a pair of socks in my second year of freedom. I'm too ashamed to tell what I did with them.

Yesterday was a very bad day, must have eaten too much. Fortunately I had only one visitor, our youngest granddaughter. Am feeling much better today. The pain is subsiding.
The turning point in my life was to be invited by one the men on camp to his home in Co. Durham over Christmas about 1952/3. He noticed I always spent Christmas on camp. On one of those visits up north I met the girl that was my salvation and inspiration. With nothing to offer but a dream, she accepted me in marriage!

At the end of her illness I can still visualise her laying in bed facing me and the words I uttered: "You were sent to make me whole. You have done that and now it's all right to let go."
I'm not sure I go along with the vow : "Till death us do part. She for ever present in all the gifts she left: a family that possess so many of her wonderful qualities. Through her I discovered that with the true power and strength of love anything is possible.