Home Alone

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
MaryW, Thank you for your reply. My visit to the Hospital went well and the surgeon was pleased with my progress. It appears I'll have good and bad days and over time the bad days will become less. I have to have B12 injections for the remainder of my life.

The one thing I don't accept is his stress on my age. "Because of your age, but for your physical condition I would not have considered operating on you." I've always considered age to be a number. What matters is life style, and as far as I'm concerned I don't count the first 16 years of my life, as I was not living, just existed in a trance of abuse and starvation.

Today has been a good day so far, as I completed three and a half miles run. I'm hoping to complete longer distances over time.
To avoid Alzheimer's I keep my mind active by viewing the world about me from a non-conventional aspect. Strange as it may seem I found my caring years fascinating as I observed and learned unconventional methods of overcoming problems.
I'm now hoping to track down a brother I never knew existed. He was of my birth mother and she gave him up to a Protestant organization, even though he was Baptized Catholic! He was adopted; married and has two sons and a daughter. He is almost five years younger than I. There are also two brothers and a sister that are alive from my father's side. It should prove interesting to make contact with one or more of them. It's a bit late in life to find I have so many relatives! I'm the only one with a criminal record!

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
The one thing I don't accept is his stress on my age. "Because of your age, but for your physical condition I would not have considered operating on you."

Oi! :p:) That is not a disparaging remark about your age, more a compliment about your fitness and lifestyle?

Padraig, you know my hubby went through a similar op some years ago – slightly different – but consultant likened it to having a full hysterectomy and a heart by-pass all at the same time. (OK, not a good analogy for a man!!!) You are EXPECTED to spend time in ICU and HD – the odds of surviving the operating theatre alone are not good for a lot of upper GI surgery – even for young and fit ... never mind older and fit – or younger and not so fit. You are EXPECTED to have good days and bad days during a long process of recovery .... you are already exceeding expectations – but then I wouldn’t expect anything less of you!;)

As for tracing family ..... I have decided as long as I live, I can never hope to complete my family tree – but I am sure as hell going to enjoy the searching for ‘missing links’ even if the jigsaw never gets completed. Think of it as keeping outta mischief! Anything else, a bonus.:)

You take care, love Kaz, x

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
My best wishes Padrig in finding out about your family.

There are no surprises in my family, generation after generation of 'the working poor'. Still never mind, it was strong, hardy stock.

xxTinaT

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
That's life

Thanks Karen and Tina T, I dreamed of Jean last night and find it strange I see her as she was a vibrant person. Then I dream of our home in the countryside; the one I promised her when we hadn't a penny. Every inch of the land, out buildings, main house and cottage, I miss it so very much.I want to be back in the country.
These are times fraught with danger; one granddaughter's husband off on a six month's tour of Afghanistan, son-in law in Iraq and another grand daughter's man, God only knows where on short missions. Our eldest grandson is due for a move later this year.
With reference to tracing family. I'm interested to find out about my father from the two brothers (my father's second family) in Ireland. Then there is a sister of that family with a daughter living in Rugby.
The one I'm most interested in is a brother by my birth mother, the one she tried to give away. I've learned a deal about him, his wife, Alice and daughter Eva. I'm not sure if they my sir name or his adopted parents.
It would be interesting to learn if he would like to know about his real birth mother and the daughter of her grandmother. She was one strange woman from what I've discovered. She brought three boys and three girls into the world and retained contact with just one girl. I feel so sad and sorry for her though I never knew her. In spite of all the trials and tribulations life has been good to me. All your support has buoyed me up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976