Home 1 v Home 2

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
No discharge arrangements have been made yet (from assessment unit) but we have seen 2 Homes which have been mentioned to us as being able to provide the care my mum will need once she is discharged. There are few other options, so far as I am aware, if any.
Has anyone been in this situation? I wish to argue against Home 1 as Home 2 will suit Mum much better. Home 1 really wouldn't be in her best interests and even detrimental to her well being given the progress she has made on the assessment unit. Has anyone had to go through this? No beds currently at Home 2 of course.
Sorry if I am repeating myself here - I am feeling pretty desolate. Has anyone been through this, and how did they manage it, and what was the outcome?

Karjo

Jan 11, 2012
No discharge arrangements have been made yet (from assessment unit) but we have seen 2 Homes which have been mentioned to us as being able to provide the care my mum will need once she is discharged. There are few other options, so far as I am aware, if any.
Has anyone been in this situation? I wish to argue against Home 1 as Home 2 will suit Mum much better. Home 1 really wouldn't be in her best interests and even detrimental to her well being given the progress she has made on the assessment unit. Has anyone had to go through this? No beds currently at Home 2 of course.
Sorry if I am repeating myself here - I am feeling pretty desolate. Has anyone been through this, and how did they manage it, and what was the outcome?

Lulu - are you able to say on the forum what your objections to home 1 are? It would give us a better idea to maybe offer help. Or is this a "gut instinct".
As you know my Mum too was on section 117 aftercare. After her first eviction and session in another assessment unit I was told she could only go to a home around 35 mins drive away. That in itself was off putting but it was the corridors and bedrooms that seemed so far from any help if needed that really put me off. Mum is a wanderer and unless someone goes with her to keep an eye on her she gets up to no good, hence the reason for the eviction. The home she is in now is quite large but the dementia unit is a large room adjoining the garden. Plenty of room to wander but the room is always supervised. Then a corridor off with some bedrooms of which mums is one. So the actual layout is much better for mum and in warm weather she has the garden and seemed to really enjoy dead heading the daffodils. Mum still has to have the one to one as if she feels trapped she will erupt and if the room gets noisy she will attack, but she is slowly settling as she forgets who she is ( I hope) .
So try to look practically at how the home could manage your Mum, is she a wanderer and would they quickly notice if she fell or had an altercation?
The first home Mum went to was very large with long corridors to wander in which I thought would suit her but it was a disaster. fights, black eyes, raiding of others rooms - it was a free for all really and Mum was probably the worst offender! There was too much space for the carers to hide in as well, I could never find anyone and most seemed to be left unattended for long periods of time. A dementia room where there is always someone in attendance in very reassuring, no wandering corridors by patients, staff and visitors looking for help!

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
Karjo, thankyou so much. Our situations are similar I think, and from what you say the things you mention about one environment against another, well this is pretty much spot on. It is also gut feeling. I absolutely know Mum would hate Home 1 and whilst I can't prove it, obviously, should she go there she will be back to the state she was in prior to admission to the assessment unit. You really have confirmed all my thoughts.
Home 1 has several small lounges, one hvaing most of the residents in it. Mum would feel trapped in there, and others would annoy her and so there is then the option of a quiet lounge - more os less out of sight if carers are busy. She wanders all the time, and there are just these lounges in a small area, then narrow corridors leading off to bedrooms - she could be out of sight. It just isn't right for her. The other place is purpose built and is exactly right, practically, and the gut feeling also.
Such a worry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet