holidays with someone with dementia

Jodie Lucas

Dec 3, 2005
Eastbourne
Hi everyone,

I am considering taking my grandmother away for a few days and just wanted some advice/tips on this. Am looking into organised tour type holidays, probably just a few days, around easter time. At the moment my grandmothers problems are mostly with her memory, anxiety and occassional bouts of confusion. She has no continence issues. If we are to go abroad (possibly paris), what happens in terms of insurance? Do insurance companies need to know about her dementia as I am accompanying her?

Any advice, as always, is welcomed and any tips would be great.

Thanks,

Jodie

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Jodie,

Finding a Insurance Company that covers A.D. is really adviceable.
As for going on holiday my husband's Consultant would not allow it.
That is an issue the Doctor would be better adviced to give.

Someone will come on line later and give you more help.
Best wishes
Christine

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Jodie - you should probably check what reciprocal agreements are in place with France vis a vis health care and the NHS. I know some people have reported that they have been able to get insurance for people with dementia, but I think it comes down to what other health issues they may have and their age.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Jodie,

If you were to go to Paris, would you be flying? If so I would tell the airline about your grandmother's condition and check they are OK with it.

My Dad flew just before diagnosis and got in to an argument with the stewardess who wouldn't let him go to the loo when the 'fasten seatbelts' sign came on. There was talk of diverting the plane and the police met them off the plane! Fortunately the police were fine once the situation was explained, but with hindsight we should have informed the airline before the problem arose.

It's a lovely idea to tke your grandmother away, and I hope I haven't put you off.

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Hi Jodie,

I think it's lovely that you wish to take your grandma on a holiday.

As the others have said it's very important that you get insurance if you are going abroad - there are companies that will insure your grandma but I think you'll have to pay more than the usual rate.

Can I ask how long it's been since grandma has been on holiday? I don't want to be negative about your idea of taking her away but I know my father has found that it is really impossible to take my mum anywhere now as she is too steeped in her necessary "routine" to change it.

If it has been a little while since your grandma was on holdiay do you think a trip in this country might be a good way to ease her into the idea and to see how it goes?

Of course your grandma could be jet setting all the time in which case this is a futile discussion!

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
At the moment my grandmothers problems are mostly with her memory, anxiety and occassional bouts of confusion.

That what my mother was like when she first flow to Gibraltar , then when she got they she because so confused , she became double incontinence , would get lost . she was then told she had AZ put on medication for AZ.

with medication for AZ I have taken her to Gibraltar 3 or 4 time in the last 6 years . Only when her mobility got worse in 06 , did I stop flying with her, as her balance in her mind was going also, she became to scared to fly .

I never took out insurance as EU member are coved in Gibraltar to receive they heath care in emergency.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Once again Jodie, every case is different.

We always had annual travel insurance prior to Lionel's diagnosis.
I was not charged any extra when I told them of his illness.

We were able to travel by coach, plane and boat for 4 years before we had to give up.

It really does depend on the individual, and how much extra care you are prepared to give them whilst travelling. Not always easy, but can be so worthwhile.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Jodie,
As Connie said, each case is different. As a rule, travel can be very confusing, particularly if you are moving around a lot. Perhaps a few days in a nice hotel in the countryside would work out well. You needn't be too far from home or medical care that way.

Enjoy whatever you do.

Jodie Lucas

Dec 3, 2005
Eastbourne
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice. My gran has been quite a seasoned traveller. Last time she went on holiday was last year when she flew over to canada to visit her cousin for three weeks.

I am more inclined to take her somewhere in the Uk, maybe the isle of wight. Unsure as to whether to do coach holiday or to drive over myself. Don't know if gran would find itinerary of coach holidays too much. Anyways gonna find out a few more details over the next few days.

I probably didn't put across well how my grandmother is. She was diagnosed with VD maybe 8 months ago, and generally shes not too bad when shes with people and has no behavioural problems as yet. Just want to do something nice with her now, rather than another 6 months or year down the line when this is no longer a viable option.

will let you know bout progress and how it goes

thanks again

Jodie

Jodie Lucas

Dec 3, 2005
Eastbourne
Hi everyone,

Just giving an update - taking my gran to isle of wight for a few days (4 nights) in mid march. Found a nice hotel in Shanklin and got a deal including ferry. I am now on my grandmothers insurance as an additional driver (gran not really driving anymore) so all sorted. My grandmother wanted to go for a week, but only taking her for a few days as want to see how that goes, in case by day 3 I'm pulling my hair out!

Thanks for all the advice, esp Lucille for convincing me I've not gone mad in doing this. Will let everyone know how it goes and put up some pics when we get back.

Thanks again

Jodie x

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Hi Jodie
glad you have sorted something out.
I two have wanted to take my husband away ( more for myself I need a change of sceney) so I have booked a week away in North Wales in a cottage with a sea view so that if he feels off and we have to stay in at least I have the view to look at.
Hope you have a good time
Roseann

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA