Holidays for people with dementia

Karenhoffen

Dec 18, 2014
Marlborough, Wiltshire
Have people come across this organisation? Dementia Adventure.

We have been on holiday with them once to the Isle of Wight and are going on the sailing holiday in June. I've been very impressed with them and recommend anyone thinking of going on a holiday with someone with dementia to have a look at their services.

My husband has frontotemporal dementia behavioural variant. On our holiday there were two people with FTD and two with Alzheimer's. The support workers coped well with the range of dementia.

I'd be interested to know of other people's experiences.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I've come across them but I wasn't sure about their level of support re incontinence etc. Could you tell us more about it please? I take OH to a Revitalise Centre twice a year for Alzheimer's week. They have nurses and a laundry service.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Thanks but unless I am overlooking it, it doesn't say much about the level of support given?

Karenhoffen

Dec 18, 2014
Marlborough, Wiltshire
The level of care given varied based on the needs of the people there. When we went last year, my husband didn't need much support. It was more awareness of his difficulties and not feeling pressurised. He needed long toilet visits, but everyone was able to wait and I could send one of the team in to check on him. There was one support worker per couple. Some of the couples needed more support and had one or two people with them whenever needed. Everyone felt completely looked after.

Since last year my husband has deteriorated a lot. He now needs support in the toilet. I have spoken to Dementia Adventure about it and they have said they will help him in the toilet. I wasn't expecting that at all so it's a big bonus. I recommend giving them a call to talk through the support required. They arrange the support around the needs of the individuals. It is very personalised.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA