Holidays and POA

Zsazsa

Jul 20, 2014
Somerset
Before my husband's AD diagnosis last year we paid for our holidays from either of our accounts...whichever was most flush at the time...or with a contribution from each.

Now I have POA I'm wondering whether this situation can contine or whether I should pay for my OH's holiday out of his account, and mine from my own? Or indeed whether a foreign holiday would not be seen as an allowable expense?

In fact, because I fear this may be the last year my OH will be fit enough to take abroad I haven't stinted....I'm now wondering should I be paying for it all from my account?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
His share from his, your share from yours. I think there could be a case made for paying for the holiday from his assets if this was a common practice and he has more income, but you shouldn't have any issues if you split the cost between you. And if you have to pay anything extra because of his diagnosis (additional luggage charges to cope with incontinence for example because you want to take more clothes), then such charges should be on him. A foreign holiday is definitively acceptable.

But I do think you are probably over-thinking this.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Why should you do that? Just pay half each and I don't think there is anyone who will be able to say anything about it. We went to Iceland in 2012 which wasn't cheap but it turned out to be the last holiday abroad we could do. It was extra special to us and we split all the costs down the middle, just as we are doing now when we are going to a Revitalise Centre for Alzheimer's week.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Why should you do that? Just pay half each and I don't think there is anyone who will be able to say anything about it. We went to Iceland in 2012 which wasn't cheap but it turned out to be the last holiday abroad we could do. It was extra special to us and we split all the costs down the middle, just as we are doing now when we are going to a Revitalise Centre for Alzheimer's week.

Beate, I think a case could be made for your husband paying the major share for your Vitalise holiday: this wouldn't be an expense that you would have if he wasn't ill. I know those things aren't cheap.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I get what you are saying but if he didn't have dementia, we would go on holiday somewhere else, and possibly more than two weeks a year so it kind of balances itself out I think.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I can't see an issue, if it's the way historically you've always split the cost 50/50 (give or take) and you're both going then what's the problem? If you worked out the cost of putting him in respite care for 2 weeks you could probably have your 2 weeks on the moon for the same price as 2 weeks in a respite care home.
As Jen says watch out for the extra charges and get the insurance right too, you don't want a claim for an accident totally unrelated to his dementia turned down because you didn't disclose "everything" whether it is relevant to the claim or not as insurance companys are known to do.
K

Zsazsa

Jul 20, 2014
Somerset
I can't see an issue, if it's the way historically you've always split the cost 50/50 (give or take) and you're both going then what's the problem? If you worked out the cost of putting him in respite care for 2 weeks you could probably have your 2 weeks on the moon for the same price as 2 weeks in a respite care home.
As Jen says watch out for the extra charges and get the insurance right too, you don't want a claim for an accident totally unrelated to his dementia turned down because you didn't disclose "everything" whether it is relevant to the claim or not as insurance companys are known to do.
K

Thanks everyone for your input...I'm much clearer about everything now and will certainly tell the travel insurers about the diagnosis.