Holiday

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi again

We have just returned from a very restful holiday at Portpatrick in Scotland, but I confess that the weather forecast frightened me to death, with the gales and downpours that we were supposed to get during the week.

We had also been looking forward to catching up with our dear friend Skye in Dumfries, but the coach did not go anywhere near to it, apart from stopping at a garage outside for some diesel fuel, so we did miss out in not seeing her. But at least I had the chance to speak to her on the phone, while trying to dodge the showers.

The winds were strong at times and watching the high waves in the sea, does make you look in wonder at the strength.

We saw the lifeboat go out on the Tuesday morning,and it was being bounced around in what "looked like a calm sea" but obviously it was not as calm as it looked.

However we enjoyed our holiday, until we were travelling back through Dumfries that I was saddened by the scenery and saw all the floods in the fields etc, and then it made me feel sad for all of those who suffered from these floods and the damage they cause. I could not understand how we missed out on all this destruction, as we were not that far away from it.

The people up there were so friendly and warm that it was lovely to go somewhere like that, and it was a holiday that I will try to remember.

Ken

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Glad that you and Janice enjoyed your holiday Ken, and that the weather did not mar your time too much.

Thank you for telling us a little about your time in Scotland.

What a lovely tribute too:

The people up there were so friendly and warm that it was lovely to go somewhere like that, and it was a holiday that I will try to remember

Take care now.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Ken,

I was wondering were you had got to and about to send you a PM to see if you was OK, but now I see you was gallivanting in the highlands, did you wear a Kilt!:eek: And hope you kept your sporran dry!;)
Good to see you back again :)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Ken, welcome back!:) I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday in Bonnie Scotland.

I was so sorry not to be able to meet you, but it was good to have a chat. I've been thinking of you all week, wondering how you were surviving the storms, I can't believe you missed them!

Dumfries was well and truly flooded, the town centre was completely inaccessible, so you certainly wouldn't have been stopping on White Sands on the way home. I'm well away from the flooded area, thankfully, on much higher ground. It was horrendous though, and yesterday we had more torrential rain.

Next time, make sure you stop in Dumfries!

Love,

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Hazel

Yes I really enjoyed the holiday and the scenery, which is beautiful and relaxing. Everyone in the village were so warm and friendly, that is was sad to leave.

However we were a little worried by all the flooding as our house has been flooded twice by the River Wear, when it has burst its banks, so I really felt sorry for all who got flooded last week.

Coming back through the Dumfries area was a bit of a shock as there were so many areas flooded, and we saw quite a few famers wading in the fields as if they were looking for some poor animal which is very sad.

We have been up to Scotland a few times over the years and it is nioce to go back at times like this when it is our aniversary, as it brings back many happy memoeies.

Next time we come back up, we will call in to see you, thats a promise.

Ken