Holiday time

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
I have just returned from a week on a boat on the Norfolk Broads in the company of my wife, who has advanced Alzheimers, two physically disabled relatives who were helping with my wife and two dogs.

The weather was kind, the boat was good and my relatives were excellent in calming the wife down when she was convinced that she was being kidnapped and totally confused with her surroundings.

We did have a couple of incidents in a pub and a cafe where we were waiting to be served. She was confused with the noise and movement of people and became inconsolable.

Strange thing about other people looking after Jean, whilst I was out on long rambles, they do tend to tell you everything she has done and seem to seek approval or answers from me as to whether they have followed the right course of action.

I am not ungrateful and am genuinely thankful for the few moments of releive that I got.

I suppose it is my reaction from having spent so much time questioning my own actions without any one else being immediately available for consultation.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I have been debating to take mum on holiday this year to Gibraltar with me , seeing that you took your wife on a boat on the Norfolk Broads ,(am wondering now did your wife not try to jump of the boat ? was she not scared ? ) I am sure that I could Mange to take her on a plain , just worried as mum be coming a bit incontinent now & then .

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Margarita,
I have just looked at an article about flying and dementia http://pb.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/26/5/188
I looked it up because I was once told that there was a thought that flying could be detrimental to people with dementia. Don't know if it is any help.
Love Amy

Last edited:

candymostdandy@

May 12, 2006
west sussex
Hi Margarita

My mother has flown several times over the past two years, even going to New Zealand last year. In my case the benefits certainly outweigh any negative effects. She obviously wouldn't be able to travel on her own, but being with the family gives her her security whilst in unfamiliar surroundings. (my mother is 85)

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
I do not think my wife could cope with the whole flying scene as she is restless when waiting in queues and nervous in places busy with people. No problem on the boat as she enjoys watching the ducks and other wildlife.

Mind you, that was last week. Next week may be entirely different.

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
I have flown 'Monique' several times in the last couple of years and with little problem during and afterwards. She takes it in her stride so long as I am around, she does not have to be rushed too much and there are loos available...

Big surprise to me as I was dreading the first flight after she had been diagnosed but it worked OK and so has every time since that.... so far!

Michael