Holiday Insurance

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
I am taking my husband who has early onset Alzheimers to Malta in June for one week. I would be grateful if anyone can recommend any travel insurance companies who will insure him for this trip.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Most companies insure if you go through the medical declaration checklist they provide. You have to pay extra of course.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I have various ailments personally ( not Dementia admittedly). I found Staysure extrememly helpful when I went to the States a couple of years ago. Make sure that the company goes through a thorough list so that they can't claim that they had not been informed about an existing condition in the event of needing to claim on the policy.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Our travel insurance is linked to one of our bank accounts. You pay monthly for this and a number of other 'benefits'. The bank is one I would like to leave (pity we can't leave them all) but we stay primarily because of this cover. I declare all our ailments that have to be declared (including Sue's AD) and, so far, I have answered all their questions at least once a year and then they tell me that we are insured with no extra cost.

We have traveled thousands of miles on the continent in our small motorhome - as far as Italy and Hungary - since dementia struck.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We had that but it didn't cover Bill once he was 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
That's a shame Izzy.:(

But I gather that travel insurance gets a lot more expensive for everyone after they hit 80.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think it does but then you have to add the extra on top of that for the medical declaration!!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
I've just been looking to take out an annual policy for both of us. OH is now 65 but will be 66 at the end of January. The cost of the policy doubles if I take it out after his birthday so I'm going to take it out now :eek:

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
I've just taken out a joint annual policy with Columbus Direct. I went to the Good to Go website to get a price comparison and they wouldn't give an annual policy, I guess because of our various medical conditions.

We insured with Columbus Direct last year before OH diagnosis and they paid out on a big claim when we had to cancel after the diagnosis. Their customer service was superb so I'm a great fan of the company.

LAP

Nov 23, 2010
Tyne & Wear
insurance

I am taking my husband who has early onset Alzheimers to Malta in June for one week. I would be grateful if anyone can recommend any travel insurance companies who will insure him for this trip.

I now use Saga as the others I have used in the past would not insure my husband after he was diagnosed with Alzheimers. He suffers form high blood pressure, trigeminal Neuralgia and Alzheimers, but I had no problems insuring us with Saga, although they now will only do separate trips and not annual, possibly all the medical conditions and also John's age of 73.
Enjoy Malta, a wonderful island and the people are so friendly.
Lillian

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We used Staysure for our last holiday and prior to that we used Flexicover. Both will insure through the medical declaration. Saga would not insure as Bill was over 80!

We made a claim with Flexicover when I cancelled a holiday last year. They paid up without any problems. The claim was not dementia related. It was due to the aftermath o of pneumonia.

Another I have heard good things about is Avanti.

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
Thanks for all your replies i had success with Columbus they insured me and my husband for one week in Malta. It was very reasonable price and excellent cover.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Just do make sure you read the policy documents (yes, I know, they are incredibly long) so you know what is and is not covered, particularly with regard to any ancillary expenses.

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi everyone,

Just popping in to let you know that Saga have contacted us to say there is no upper age limit for their travel insurance.

Hope that's helpful,