Holiday Insurance

IT_man

Dec 10, 2006
London
Useful website - Disability Rights Commission website

Amazed and sorry to hear of these problems with insurance - I had a look on the Disability Rights Commission website to see if this could be viewed as discrimination. Nothing directly relevant that I could see but the website is well worth looking at in my view.

Disability Rights Commission website

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Tender Face said:
1) If taking anti-depresants were a precursor for insurance companies not covering holiday travel - what hope for the non-dementia masses who require prescription treatment for depression?

It does seem rather crazy. Surprised insurance companies (and the travel companies) survive if they don't insure people on anti-deps. I wonder if they're spooked by the small percentage of people who seem to be (allegedly) very adversely affected by this medication and can end up being violent towards themselves and others.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
KenC said:
Hi Sylvia,

My wife rang our insurance company a few weeks ago because we thought we needed our insurance renewing, only to be told that, as I was still on the mediaction the renewal would be doubled.
This I found hard to believe but it is true, and we have used the same company for at least two years and they knew that I had Dementia with Lewy Bodies and was on Meidication. So why change now?
It has been suggested that we re-apply somewhere else without telling them about the illness which does not make sense. We had a holiday in Skye last week, for the second year running, and enjoyed it quite a lot so perhaps we just have to stay in this country, it may well be cheaper.

Best Wishes

Ken

I had annual travel insurance included with my bank account and paid to add my son to it. Soon after I did this, and not long before we went on holiday to America, he was diagnosed with diabetes. The insurance company agreed to cover his condition at no extra charge. However, the following year the underwriters had changed and I had the choice of paying extra to cover his diabetes or to accept that the diabetes would not be covered. I opted to pay the extra, especially as diabetes can be so unpredictable and America is so expensive for medical care. In reality we were much more of a risk the previous year as we knew a lot less about diabetes. He had never been hospitalised at this point so the risk had not increased.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Áine said:
It does seem rather crazy. Surprised insurance companies (and the travel companies) survive if they don't insure people on anti-deps. I wonder if they're spooked by the small percentage of people who seem to be (allegedly) very adversely affected by this medication and can end up being violent towards themselves and others.

There's probably a lot of people on anti-depressants who don't disclose this to their insurance companies - not through dishonesty but because it hasn't occurred to them that it would be considered relevant.

Helena

May 24, 2006
Many people are unaware that you MUST report every visit to your GP/ doctor/consultant and all medications you take ........ to your holiday insurers ........failure to do so can render the policy null and void

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC