Holiday insurance cover in case of bereavement?

LeedsLass

Oct 13, 2014
Essex
My mum is late stages Alzheimer's, bed bound since October, not eating and very frail. However she is stable and has been for weeks, just on a very slow decline. We weren't going to go on holiday because I didn't want to be away if anything happened and leaving Dad to cope with it all on his own. However, we've just booked a week in Spain on 22 August as I think we needed a break as a family and to escape the rain! I'm just wondering if I have to cancel if the insurance would cover it as obvious Mum has a documented terminal illness. Has anyone had experience of this? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I would check the small print but my sister went on holiday to the usa a few weeks ago and was asked specifically if she had any ill family by the insurers. She said that mum was unwell and was in a care home with Alzheimers late stage and was told flatly that they would not insure her AT ALL for anything.
So I have a feeling you would not be covered (unless the company was aware of the situation and you could prove it)

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
My friend's mother was diagnosed with cancer shortly before we left on holiday. No one realized how little time she had left and shockingly she died while we were away. My friend flew home immediately to look after her dad.

The insurance company argued that cancer had been diagnosed and refused to pay at first. Luckily for my friend, the doctor confirmed that her mum's death had actually been caused by a fall, broken hip and chest infection after the anaesthetic which was not 'expected'. It was not the cancer that caused her death at that time...in theory at least. (Personally I think she fell because she was weakened by her cancer and that is why she couldn't fight the chest infection in the first place.)

You should check the terms and conditions for your insurance policy. But if they would not cover you for your mum's alzheimers, then perhaps look into how much it would cost you to pay for a flight home yourself. It might be affordable.

hope this helps.

Last edited:

LeedsLass

Oct 13, 2014
Essex
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Easy jet will offer vouchers in view of bereavement apparently. so that at least is something. Will definitely check out all the small print. After months of hoping mum will slip away I'm now hoping she'll hang on a little longer. Hate this roller coaster. Love to you both x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
My FIL had dementia and we had been called to his side several times over 6 months. We decided to go on holiday - long booked - but OH saw vicar, funeral director before we went. FIL died 4 days into our holiday, though we didn't find out til 4 days later. In the knowledge that all arrangements had been made, we finished our holiday. OH said it was the worst thing he had done, but we had a very good holiday. I will say there were people who could register the death if necessary.
Enjoy your holiday!

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
My mum is late stages Alzheimer's, bed bound since October, not eating and very frail. However she is stable and has been for weeks, just on a very slow decline. We weren't going to go on holiday because I didn't want to be away if anything happened and leaving Dad to cope with it all on his own. However, we've just booked a week in Spain on 22 August as I think we needed a break as a family and to escape the rain! I'm just wondering if I have to cancel if the insurance would cover it as obvious Mum has a documented terminal illness. Has anyone had experience of this? Thanks.

You need to add it to your cover but I don't expect it will be cheep

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo