Holiday blues

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
My two daughters and I have had a weekend to Barcelona planned for some time, due to go weekend after next. Social worker arranged respite care but not in an EMI unit, he thought they would be able to look after him. The home has an EMI unit as well but the respite bed isn't available. Anyway Bernard had to go for a trial run today to see if they could cope. Upshot being that he ended up in their EMI unit by mid-afternoon and there's no way they can take him for the weekend . I have got a back up from the carer service I use but it would mean at least three different carers and I don't know if they would be able to take him out, he would be a nightmare shut up in the house all weekend. Only people carers could call on in an emergency would be my sons-in-law and they'll both be looking after their respective small children so couldn't do much. I think we shall have to postpone and pay the additional fees for changing the flights. Perhaps it wasn't meant to be.....

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
My two daughters and I have had a weekend to Barcelona planned for some time, due to go weekend after next. Social worker arranged respite care but not in an EMI unit, he thought they would be able to look after him. The home has an EMI unit as well but the respite bed isn't available. Anyway Bernard had to go for a trial run today to see if they could cope. Upshot being that he ended up in their EMI unit by mid-afternoon and there's no way they can take him for the weekend . I have got a back up from the carer service I use but it would mean at least three different carers and I don't know if they would be able to take him out, he would be a nightmare shut up in the house all weekend. Only people carers could call on in an emergency would be my sons-in-law and they'll both be looking after their respective small children so couldn't do much. I think we shall have to postpone and pay the additional fees for changing the flights. Perhaps it wasn't meant to be.....

Hi Jinx
So sorry if you are not able to go. There's no certainty when you want to make arrangements. I have just had respite after 7 years and booked one night away knowing I might have had to cancel , fortunately I was able to go, the time went so quickly.
I do hope you may be able to rearrange, can social worker find another home ?

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
That's very disappointing Jinx, and I'm sorry if you have that extra expense. I hope something can be worked out so that you eventually get your break.
7 years is an awfully long time to wait for a break Feline! Love, Es
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Thank you Feline, we have decided to postpone until later in the year. We've tried every EMI home but to be honest there aren't that many in this area and they have waiting lists for respite. I don't know how you managed 7 years and only one night of respite, you're amazing!