Holding Care Homes Accountable

PaddyJim

Jan 19, 2013
North Yorkshire
Mum has been a CH for over a year and we recently had a review of her care with the home and her SW. Whilst the review on the whole was positive and we are generally very pleased with her care home and the care she receives. Having said that, we discovered last week that mum had not been given her regular laxatives and was in pain struggling to go to the toilet. When we enquired as to why she had not been given her prescribed medication it turns out the home had made a mistake and they tried to blame it on the pharmacist. Irrespective of whom is to blame, mum did not have her medication and was in pain. How do others deal with situations like this, we visit mum regular (3 / 4 times a week) and I feel concerned that other residents who do not have regular visitors could also have medication missed and no one would know. What I really want to know is how do we hold the CH accountable to avoid a repeat. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hi PaddyJim, isn't it horrible to think our loved ones are in pain because of an omission by the people tasked with caring for them....

You can always post comments directly on the CQC website and they do read those comments if, if they feel it's necessary, they will do a flying visit.

I agree, what happens to the poor souls with no-one to keep an eye on them, maybe the AZ Society should champion local voluntary support for the CQC....

Best wishes

Benrese

Apr 12, 2014
Lancashire
Hi PaddyJim,

As mentioned, it would be an idea to go to the CQC website and find the specific Care Home. Have you checked their marks? I've filtered to North Yorkshire, only guessing this is the area you may have your Mum in.

http://www.cqc.org.uk/search/servic...ed Kingdom&sort=default&distance=15&mode=html

You can drill down and locate the home. If you need help, you can private message me and I can help you locate it.

The best way to go about things is always to start with the CH. If you have told your CH your concerns and there are no changes, or you feel that they haven't listed to you, you go straight away and make a post on the CQC website, under the specific CH. As you can imagine, this will get their attention.

Cheers,

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I entirely agree with the last two posters. I would post this on the CQC website. The CQC when they inspect do look at accurate medication records and this is under the their Safety standard.

I used to periodically ask for a copy of my husband's MARS sheet st his care home. This is a record of daily medications given. In this way I could check up on what medications he was taking. Even so I had to complain that I felt he was in pain and the staff disputed this. I waited until the district nurse was on the premises and asked the manager to allow me to have a chat with b oth herself and the district nurse which she agreed to.

The district nurse noted that my husband should have been medicated three times a day with the pain relief but the records showed that he was only getting it once a day!

Without my monitoring and concern that he was in pain, this would not have come to light

xxTinaT

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
if in any doubt report the home HOWEVER be aware in my case the home knew i had reported and came back and blamed me when they failed na inspection!!!

i kid you not it was my fault residents were not being fed properly

its not as annonymous as you think i found mum covered in poo but didnt feel able to report it after the deputy manager saiod that to me!

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
It must have been supposition on the care home manager's part that you had caused the inspection as Inspectors never give the names of anyone who has reported to them. Inspectors receive information from a wide variety of sources such as the local authority safeguarding team, whistle-blowers, district nurses, GP's who visit, etc, etc,.

Was the incident when you arrived to find mum covered in poo a one off, or have you experiences of this or other neglect happening regularly? If so, do please get back to the CQC and list details including dates.

The care home manager may have had her nose put out of joint by the inspection but how many of the care workers, residents and other relatives have benefited from your complaint. I would imagine that although the ordinary care workers can't say this to you, that they themselves have been disquieted by some of the things they have experienced.

Hold you head up high and continue to be prepared to stand up for the better care of your mum. Bless you, I for one am proud that you acted rather than allowed things to be brushed away by a care home manager who is more concerned about her own job than the good care which she should be leading her staff to give.

xxTinaT

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
It must have been supposition on the care home manager's part that you had caused the inspection as Inspectors never give the names of anyone who has reported to them. Inspectors receive information from a wide variety of sources such as the local authority safeguarding team, whistle-blowers, district nurses, GP's who visit, etc, etc,.

Was the incident when you arrived to find mum covered in poo a one off, or have you experiences of this or other neglect happening regularly? If so, do please get back to the CQC and list details including dates.

The care home manager may have had her nose put out of joint by the inspection but how many of the care workers, residents and other relatives have benefited from your complaint. I would imagine that although the ordinary care workers can't say this to you, that they themselves have been disquieted by some of the things they have experienced.

Hold you head up high and continue to be prepared to stand up for the better care of your mum. Bless you, I for one am proud that you acted rather than allowed things to be brushed away by a care home manager who is more concerned about her own job than the good care which she should be leading her staff to give.

xxTinaT

The CQC called a local social worker who TOLD the home I reported them I am surprised the social worker is allowed to tell such info but she admitted it to me!

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I would be referring this breach of privacy to the leader of Social Services in your area. This contravention of your right is outrageous and has had consequences both for yourself and the care of your mother.

You should be perfectly free to complain about the care of your mother without having to suffer from the bad practices you are now seeing!

xxTinaT

Benrese

Apr 12, 2014
Lancashire
Yes, exactly what Tina has said. Please don't let them brush this under the carpet. That was very wrong to have happened!

I would be referring this breach of privacy to the leader of Social Services in your area. This contravention of your right is outrageous and has had consequences both for yourself and the care of your mother.

You should be perfectly free to complain about the care of your mother without having to suffer from the bad practices you are now seeing!

xxTinaT

PaddyJim

Jan 19, 2013
North Yorkshire
Thank You

Thank You all for the advice. :)I decided to discuss my concerns with the CH and they have put in place additional measures to avoid a repeat. Furthermore, they have already advised the QCQ so I feel they have done the best for my mum and the other residents and generally they are a very good. I really appreciate all the comments and guidance.
:)

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
on the plus side i now have a mobile number to someone in CQC so hopfefully if i ever find mum alone covered in poo and food attemtping to feed herself int he day room - they left here there because shes too hard to move she screams...................so IF I find her dirty covered in food and sat in wee I will ring them again :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour