Hitting rock bottom and coming back up

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
I hit the bottom last night, between 2215 and 3am, after a particularly gruelling sundowning episode, and thought, no, not doing this anymore, so am going to ask for and take all the help I can get, for himself and me. I will be selling our wee Motorhome at the end of the season, and plan on moving next year. But I digress, I recently applied for, and got carers allowance, and today I got a letter from the Scottish Government giving me a carers bonus for having a tough time during the pandemic. I thought that was a nice touch. But caring, and not just through the pandemic, is just tough all round. But I will take this handshake.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hard decisions to take @Thethirdmrsc but decisions that are well taken I think.

I’m glad you’re happy to receive the wee bonus - however wee it might be! Thinking of you I and wishing you strength as the weeks go by.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I hit the bottom last night, between 2215 and 3am, after a particularly gruelling sundowning episode, and thought, no, not doing this anymore, so am going to ask for and take all the help I can get, for himself and me. I will be selling our wee Motorhome at the end of the season, and plan on moving next year. But I digress, I recently applied for, and got carers allowance, and today I got a letter from the Scottish Government giving me a carers bonus for having a tough time during the pandemic. I thought that was a nice touch. But caring, and not just through the pandemic, is just tough all round. But I will take this handshake.
A tough decision to take selling the motorhome whereas, rather stupidly it has turned out I have just part Ex’d our much love caravan for a 2 berth MoHo which now sits rather forlornly on my driveway. Within two weeks of purchase Pauline was in hospital, then came Covid19 and now she is probably not up to be left alone and original plan of getting respite time at the drop of a hat with the MoHo is dying the death. I am sure we will savour the memories from our travels but heck of a wrench to end them, good luck with the downsizing.

Gorgeous Gail

Apr 17, 2020
I know how you feel re the Motorhome - I sold our beloved caravan yesterday as, with the mobility issues which my OH has, a touring caravan is no longer a viable option. I'm glad you've also got the Carer's allowance and the bonus which, although it will never make caring for our loved ones any easier, it may just help you if you need some much needed respite. We got the attendance allowance recently and it has helped to pay for a mobility scooter for my OH so we are able to go out for days without me worrying that he will trip or fall. Unfortunately, he caught the back wheel on a kerb and it is currently being repaired but hoping that now that places are starting to open up again, once we get it back we can go out for trips. He really needs some social stimulation as he has been really depressed during lockdown and he has now been prescribed with anti-depressants.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
It’s funny @Agzy because then I was looking at caravans! We loved going away, had a van for the past 10 years, but last year, the trips we had were the pits. My step dad lives in Kent,, and from where I am it’s a 1000 mile round trip, and it was painful. Even harder now that he can’t drive. I also hate being the only decision maker, but have to toughen up. I am glad you got the AA @Gorgeous Gail it’s a big help.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
After a 3 week wait for a Doctors phone appointment, to whom I poured my heart out, things are slowly happening. My daughter got back in touch with social services, and today have had a phone call to say that a new bannister and outside handle are getting done. I also have a prescription for a Valium type tablet for the OH in case. And we are having our first Carer visit tomorrow. So there is light at the end of this hellish long tunnel!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts