Higher level nursing care needed ?

Vegpatch

Nov 3, 2016
Hi

Dad's current ch can no longer meet his needs due to aggression (mainly at personal care...but can be triggered by anything) & while they haven't given us notice (yet), we obviously need to move him asap.

He has been assessed as needing EMI nursing care & a home went to assess him today that chc team had recommended as being a higher level dementia care home. They've rejected dad due to his level of aggression.

Social services are going to go back to the dementia crisis team on monday to seek further clarification / ideas. In the meantime, does anyone have any advice / ideas ?
I'm not sure the crisis team will be supportive of sectioning.

Chc wont assess dad until he's in a location that can meet his needs.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hi

Dad's current ch can no longer meet his needs due to aggression (mainly at personal care...but can be triggered by anything) & while they haven't given us notice (yet), we obviously need to move him asap.

He has been assessed as needing EMI nursing care & a home went to assess him today that chc team had recommended as being a higher level dementia care home. They've rejected dad due to his level of aggression.

Social services are going to go back to the dementia crisis team on monday to seek further clarification / ideas. In the meantime, does anyone have any advice / ideas ?
I'm not sure the crisis team will be supportive of sectioning.

Chc wont assess dad until he's in a location that can meet his needs.
Actually don’t worry about the home issues, difficult to do but believe me the care home won’t throw him out on the streets. I went through this with Dad & he passed before anything was resolved. If you can step back a little & let social services lead the process - basically put the ball in their court , believe me when it comes to funding the authorities move quicker & letting them take the lead on funding can be productive.

I speak from experience - I learnt the hard way!!!

Vegpatch

Nov 3, 2016
Unfortunately we're still self funding at the mo....trying to let ss lead the process so we get a bit of support for once ! They've got another care home going to assess him on tuesday...will see what happens there...

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I went throught the same thing recently, its important to ask the EMI about aggression if your doing the looking for a place. Some homes say they are nursing EMI but they aren't and it can be difficult finding one that is a true EMI unit. I found one for mum after seeing a number of homes and they are really good. Something will come up, though it is stressful at the time. As @DesperateofDevon says the CH your dads in will have to keep him until a place is found.

Mum gets FNC £165 per week allowance, her pension is taken and there is no top up fee. Her house is about to be sold to pay for her care so if you can I would let the SS deal with fees and negotiate them -but not sure of your circumstances with the SS

Vegpatch

Nov 3, 2016
So....tried a number of homes now, both near & far. All have either rejected dad or dont have vacancies.

Current home has reduced carers on the unit to 4 (for 16 emi nursing residents, all with dementia !)....so dad being left in bed till past midday each day (soiled etc), and being given diazepam on prn...but so much that he cant walk !

This is an absolute nightmare - dad not being cared for properly, but cant find anywhere where he could be !

I'm still leaving it to ss to support and investigate as I think this is just getting too complicated for us to deal with. So so sad. X

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
So....tried a number of homes now, both near & far. All have either rejected dad or dont have vacancies.

Current home has reduced carers on the unit to 4 (for 16 emi nursing residents, all with dementia !)....so dad being left in bed till past midday each day (soiled etc), and being given diazepam on prn...but so much that he cant walk !

This is an absolute nightmare - dad not being cared for properly, but cant find anywhere where he could be !

I'm still leaving it to ss to support and investigate as I think this is just getting too complicated for us to deal with. So so sad. X
Honestly I know it feels daunting but contact the CQC & tell them this was the situation I found Dad in & I battled but now with hindsight & more information I wish I had done this ... I just kept hoping it would all improve - it didn’t!
if you have POA contact the Office of Guardians & they will also be an advocate for your Dad & his care.
lastly contact your MP ... please do this seriously hindsight is a wonderful gift to be able to share as knowing what I now know i would have done all of thiswhile Dad was alive.
it felt too daunting, & I was banging my head against brick walls no matter what I did.
You can discuss if you want to be named or not with these bodies!
I hope this might help you, I really do understand your pain & anguish having recently gone through a similar experience.
sending my love & a big (((((hug)))))))
Please let me know how you get on with getting the care your Dad so desperately needs!
xx

Vegpatch

Nov 3, 2016
Update.
Dad had a stroke a few days ago - we dont know exactly when as no one at the home picked it up. It was my mum who noticed the changes in him & raised her concern. Gp visited next day and confirmed a left side stroke.
Been to see him today & he's extremely tired as you'd expect post stroke, and unable to eat or drink much. Will be sending an email to the homes' manager to raise my concerns about why this wasnt picked up by the nursing staff.
Too early to tell, but this could change things re CH & behaviour.

?

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan