higher level attendance allowance

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
Does anyone know whether, if you are entirely self funding in a residential care home, you qualify for higher level attendance allowance? I applied for the lower level attendance allowance for my mum last year, which she got, and I have read on here that when you go into care if you are self funding then you can still get that attendance allowance. But I was just wondering if I can claim now for the higher level for her or not? I did ring the dept of works and pensions about it but I got a recorded message saying they were too busy and to try again later :rolleyes:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can receive either level of AA if self funding.

There is a shorter form to apply for a change from low to high, it is not available on line, you have to request it.

Some CAB, Citizens' Advice, etc hold copies. It is worth going to one of them to help with completion however you get the form.

JayneB6367

Dec 18, 2013
Does anyone know whether, if you are entirely self funding in a residential care home, you qualify for higher level attendance allowance? I applied for the lower level attendance allowance for my mum last year, which she got, and I have read on here that when you go into care if you are self funding then you can still get that attendance allowance. But I was just wondering if I can claim now for the higher level for her or not? I did ring the dept of works and pensions about it but I got a recorded message saying they were too busy and to try again later :rolleyes:

Yes You can once she has been resident for 6 months. I have just done the same and Mum now gets I think £83 a week rather than £55. Same situation, self funding in a care home.
You do have to apply in her name which is of course ridiculous as my Mum has not been able to complete a form for years now. Still it was relatively easy. The letters had to be sent to the care home and they held them there for me.
Good luck! I thought you may as well get what you can as Mum gets so little help and all of her money will disappear on her care far too quickly!

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Just to add that Age UK organised it for dad (through me) - I rang Age UK who contacted the DWP, and the DWP sent me the forms and later came out to the home to talk to dad personally. The Care Home manager helped me with the sections concerning dad's night-time needs. Dad had only been in the home a few weeks when we did this and the higher rate was awarded with no problems. Good luck!

jasmineflower

Aug 27, 2012
Just wondering, on the same theme: does anyone know if you can claim attendance allowance if you also receive the nursing element payment?

d4109125

Mar 25, 2016
Just wondering, on the same theme: does anyone know if you can claim attendance allowance if you also receive the nursing element payment?

Attendance Allowance will also continue to be paid if you are in a nursing home and the only help you get with your fees is an amount called the Funded Nursing Care or Registered Nursing Care Contribution from the NHS.

jasmineflower

Aug 27, 2012
Attendance Allowance will also continue to be paid if you are in a nursing home and the only help you get with your fees is an amount called the Funded Nursing Care or Registered Nursing Care Contribution from the NHS.

Thanks so much for this information.