higher level attendance allowance

gele

Mar 22, 2015
rochdale area
My dad is in 'assessment care' [I have been calling it intermediate care but apparently its different]. Anyway he will most likely be going into permanent residential care. He gets basic attendance allowance now and has been for a while however I am certain now he would be eligible for higher rate attendance allowance [we're actually going to try for CHC] Can you still claim this if you are going into permanent care and are fully funding it yourself. Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Attendance allowance is still payable if the person is self funding.

There should not be any problem in the higher rate being awarded if the person is in full time care.

Moving from lower to higher rate used to mean filling in a complete new application but it is now done using a simplified form DBD138, this form is only available upon request. Try phoning 0345 605 6055 and say you want a reassessment. It might be the wrong number but if it is they should be able to transfer you or give you the correct number to phone.

EDIT

FNC does not affect AA .

Last edited:

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
A tip when you fill in the simplified form....if you don't put that the extra assistance has been needed for at least 6 months the higher rate will not be paid until 6 months from date of application....unless, as happened with my mum, her doctor certifies that her condition is terminal. GPs have a form to certify this but can't recall its reference number.

gele

Mar 22, 2015
rochdale area
Thanks for the speedy reply. Regarding the 6 month issue, Dad had a fall at the end of Feb and went into assessment care then so there would be no issue re him qualifying since then. He probably could have been getting it prior to that but since being in the care home he has changed his GP and he hardly knows him. His old GP would have validated no question but Im not sure about this new one.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The fact that he has been in 24 hour assessment care and is being discharged to full time care should meet the 6 months rule.

However all AA stops after 28 days in an assessment unit so the increase rate should start to be paid on his discharge.

You did tell them he was in hospital so they could stop the lower rate after 28 days, didn't you?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The nurse in the nursing home my husband was moved inot from hospital actually applied to up the AA to the higher level as they were the ones caring for him at night, which I understand that is the criteria for the upper payment. Before he went into hospital for an operation, he was on the lower level.

gele

Mar 22, 2015
rochdale area
I hadn't told them re stopping attendance allowance when dad went into hospital, or 3 weeks later into assessment care. I didn't know I had to and no-one advised me.
His follow on care from NHS/social services has been virtually non existent. He hasn't been allocated a social worker-not sure if that's normal in his situation - all we were told was that it would be in his best interest to go from hospital into assessment care because following a broken hip he was going to be 6 weeks non-weight bearing which meant using a hoist etc. I accepted this as it made sense.
Anyway, I rang DWP this afternoon to ask for the higher level form and they asked me how long he had been in the home. I told them the date he was admitted and that he had been in hospital for 3 weeks prior so I assume they will do whatever necessary now.
Obviously I will fill in the form as soon as I get it and hopefully things will sort themselves out!

gele

Mar 22, 2015
rochdale area
more on my dad following on from previous post

following on from previous post. As his daughter we have had no guidance re DWP, how adult care services work or anything. Everything I've wanted to know or get done I've had to ring and hassle people for, or read up on through this forum. I managed eventually to get him some physio however it was too little too late and dad wont walk again. He had no physio in hospital even though he was in there 3 weeks and all they said was we cant do anything because he's 6 weeks non weight bearing. Then when we do get a physio, [9 weeks after his accident not 6] 5 of the 6 exercises the physio did were non weight bearing so why he couldn't have been doing these from the start I don't know !
Dad does suffer from memory loss/ confusion although he has not had a proper assessment for dementia and this has worsened considerable since being admitted to the care home.
He is due for an assessment in 4 weeks [we know this because we had a phone call to say his bed had been extended] and we expect the result to be full time residential care or care at home might be possible although it will have to be extensive.
I have just realised I've rambled on in a thread to do with attendance allowance. I do apologise. If this needs to be moved, those that can please do so. And thanks for reading !