High rate attendance allowance

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I googled and found a simple one like John had called Easyfit bed guard for under £50 once VAT was taken off. It wouldn’t restrict his movement but just steady him as he got out of bed. The OT would probably get you one for nothing.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice.
It’s hard to know if applying for the higher rate is the right thing to do.
Because I’m here all the time it’s impossible to imagine how my OH would get by if he was alone. I don’t think he would even go to bed let alone undress, dress, etc, etc!

The question to ask yourself is, could you go away and leave your husband on his own overnight? If not, and you need to help/prompt/supervise him, you should apply for the higher rate.

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
The question to ask yourself is, could you go away and leave your husband on his own overnight? If not, and you need to help/prompt/supervise him, you should apply for the higher rate.
Wow! That’s put a whole new light on the question. There is no way I would consider leaving him overnight. OK decision made, I will let you know how I get on. Thankyou

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
I did discuss this with an OT but somehow came to the conclusion it wouldn't be of use at present. The falls aren't nightly and he can generally get in and out of bed without aid so it could be more of a hindrance. The OT did suggest laying pillows on the floor though! Yeah, right. A nice trip hazard, eh?
If I could find a rail that could be let down and put back simply by the PWD I'd probably try it. What we don't want is something that requires assistance to use - just something to act as a gentle roll-stopper.
Pillows under the bedclothes at the edge of the bed work to a degree but that's far from ideal. Never mind .... I don't need sleep. :(

Could you put one side of the bed to the wall and fold a blanket placing it under the mattress to slightly raise the mattress on the non wall side? Might just be enough.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
From what you say Higher Rate Attendance Allowance ought to be claimed and backdated payments may be made. There is a question on the form about when the night time needs started. This can be some time in the past.I claimed last January and indicated that the night time needs had begun from the previous June. Best of luck in making your application.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Could you put one side of the bed to the wall and fold a blanket placing it under the mattress to slightly raise the mattress on the non wall side? Might just be enough.
Bed against the wall's not an option. Will try raising the mattress though. I'm getting into the mindset of twin beds - I'm sure I could steal a few inches here and there to make a space for them - but part of me is just so against the idea despite the fact that it makes sense.
When OH is sleeping gently it's so comforting to reach out and feel him there, even if it's just his physical self and not the 'him' it used to be. And it does mean I can check his breathing's OK (COPD) and that I don't need to go find the insurance policy!

Di*

Sep 25, 2015
Cornwall
Can anyone tell me, is this just based on assistance required at night?
My OH currently gets the lower rate but other people I have spoken to are on the higher rate, just wondering given the challenges of looking after PWD at quite an advanced level?

Its either night or day. If you are getting Attendance Allowance it will be for attending someone during the day or the night. When it becomes more during the other part then you can claim for the second one. You just phone up for a form and complete the form and send it off.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Please get help to fill in forms even if you have a degree in filling forms.
As Carers we often do not recognise what we do, if we do we often are protecting someone's dignity. So much is done without thought, we just do it because it needs to be done.
A more detached view shows it how it is, we were given the full amount back dated to the date we applied. I wish we had applied sooner.
We used Age UK, the young man was brilliant. I would have put on a brave stance as I had been doing.
It was the night duties that did it.

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Update as promised.
So I decided to apply to upgrade to the higher rate.
I am unable to seek help from an organisation like age uk as, although I sometimes am able to go out alone I can’t plan ahead so an appointment is out of the question.
I completed the form, following all your advise.
Expected about a 6 week wait but after just 2 weeks received a letter. Request accepted and not only that but backdated 7 months.
So, don’t be put off. If you feel you need help, ask for it!
Thanks to you all for your advise.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
A bit late I know Vic10, but may be of help others .my local AgeUK actually came out to our home to help with application.
Pleased you got it back dated.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
My update is :-
Letter received today to say they are sorry that they have not given a decision on my claim and will deal with my request as quickly as they can. They will write to me again as soon as they can with more information.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Update as promised.
So I decided to apply to upgrade to the higher rate.
I am unable to seek help from an organisation like age uk as, although I sometimes am able to go out alone I can’t plan ahead so an appointment is out of the question.
I completed the form, following all your advise.
Expected about a 6 week wait but after just 2 weeks received a letter. Request accepted and not only that but backdated 7 months.
So, don’t be put off. If you feel you need help, ask for it!
Thanks to you all for your advise.

That's great news. I think I got my 'yes' back in about 4 weeks, it was all every efficient.

I was lucky that the care home manager was happy to fill in the 'needs' sections on our behalf - I had no idea of my mother's detailed daily needs as the carers looked after her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kez15