High Blood Sugar

No_Exit

Jan 5, 2018
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas regarding high blood sugars. My dad who has alzheimers is also type 2 diabetic. He gets humulin I insulin in the morning and again at teatime. However, the last two days I have checked his blood sugars several times and his blood sugars have continually read high. Moreover, he hasnt ate much the last 2 days. And what he has ate has been really low in carbs and sugar content.

The insulin doesnt seem to be having much impact, anybody have any ideas as to why this might be happening?

thanks

Ne

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo No Exit.
I don't know if this is relevant, but my partner has type 2 diabetes which is controlled by Glicazide. She had very high blood sugars a few years ago while eating little and eventually the doctor diagnosed kidney stones. Have you asked a doctor for blood tests? It's the best I can offer.

No_Exit

Jan 5, 2018
Hi, Thanks for the reply, my dad used to be on metaformin and gliclazide to control his diabetes but they took him off these tablets and changed him to insulin a while ago. He had his bloods done to check his CRP levels, but they were ok. So could be kidney stones, not sure if the blood CRP levels would have shown this. Did your partner have any other symptoms with kidney stones?

Wee sis

Sep 18, 2017
Have you tried different injection sites. My oh has type 1 and if I don’t change sites regularly he has high readings. Lately I’ve used his spare tyre at the sides and it’s been effective. He’s actually quite thin but there is enough loose flesh to inject. Good luck sugar levels can be a real problem.

No_Exit

Jan 5, 2018
I have been trying different sides of his stomach, alternate from one side to the other for each injection

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi, Thanks for the reply, my dad used to be on metaformin and gliclazide to control his diabetes but they took him off these tablets and changed him to insulin a while ago. He had his bloods done to check his CRP levels, but they were ok. So could be kidney stones, not sure if the blood CRP levels would have shown this. Did your partner have any other symptoms with kidney stones?

As I remember it she also had problems passing water.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Do you use a prefilled pen or vial syringe and needle? Either way, change it, use one from the most recent prescription, insulin is temperature sensitive, it may have been exposed to a warmer temperature than it should have. Does your dad’s GP practice have a diabetic nurse/clinic that could advise.

barny

Jan 20, 2006
Herts
Is the glucometer working properly? Is it a fairly new one , if an older model it may need calibration. Do you wash his hands/fingers before testing? Are the strips in date? Please check these things as they can greatly affect glucose readings.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas regarding high blood sugars. My dad who has alzheimers is also type 2 diabetic. He gets humulin I insulin in the morning and again at teatime. However, the last two days I have checked his blood sugars several times and his blood sugars have continually read high. Moreover, he hasnt ate much the last 2 days. And what he has ate has been really low in carbs and sugar content.

The insulin doesnt seem to be having much impact, anybody have any ideas as to why this might be happening?

thanks

Ne

What has he been eating?
What levels are being shown?
It may now be time, to take full control over shopping, and cooking, watching him eat if necessary.
Dementia and diabetes don't go together well at all!
Diabetes, needs understanding, dementia, loses understanding. This may well be care home time. Out of control blood sugar levels do cause problems, even death. He may not be able to recognise the onset of either Hypo or Hyper onsets, both need immediate attention.

Bod

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger