Hiding things

APPLEANNIE

Mar 20, 2016
A new thing has started with my husband he keeps hiding things. Yesterday he hid his dirty clothes in the bottom of the wardrobe. and this morning he hid the pegs for the washing in the garage.I have had to put a schedule in his room to tell him when to change clothes and shower.As i am also disabled i need to be able to easily accsess things and him putting things in awkward places for me to get to is making my life very difficult.He is becoming more and more childlike and hard to manage.I dont know how to cope. Sorry for the moan

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
not a moan APPLEANNIE, just telling it as it is
and telling it here means you can be sure that folks understand
it's probably not that your husband is hiding things - he's putting them where seems sensible to him; just doesn't make any sense to any one else :(
any chance of locking some of the places he uses, to at least cut down on possibilities (or will that just cause lots of frustration)?
do you have any support eg home care visits. a sitter or days for your husband at a day care centre? - maybe a cleaner could help find items as they go from room to room? - I guess you'll have had an assessment of your husband's care needs by the Local Authority Adult Services; maybe it's time for a re-assessment to see if more help would take some of the strain from you
it's tricky, isn't it, working out how to let your husband (in my case, my dad) do as much as he can for himself but having then to 'tidy up ' afterwards, or monitor every move, which is just not really possible
do check in with his GP to give the GP an up to date picture of your husband's situation, and to chat about how you are - your are important in yourself not just as your husband's carer - though I appreciate that's not easy to keep in mind and act on when you're subsumed in the caring role
best wishes

Clunchman

Account on hold
Dec 6, 2016
Moan away AppleAnnie, this is the place to do it and get helpful advice from folk who understand because in the same situations.
My wife does not so much hide things as spreads them around the house, so I play hide and seek looking for tablets, clothing, letters etc.
Can you get any help arranged to ease your load. (I know can be difficult. Not got any help here yet)
Best wishes, Clunchman

CarerForMum

May 5, 2017
Hi

Well my mother hides keys, money, purse, her reading glasses, toilet rolls, books and when I say hide - oh my word she's very creative. Set of house keys inside a CD player, purse under her pillow, cushions in lounge, behind the fridge, inside the freezer. Money under her pillow, between the sheets on the bed, under the carpet, rolled up inside toilet rolls, the list is endless.

I sympathise but know that he'll go through more hiding places this is the nature of this awful disease. There's nothing much you can do about it, apart from trying to keep an eye on favourite hiding places. If you are able to lock areas out of bounds, while he may not like it, it might make it easier to find hidden items.

Ask Social Services for an assessment they may be able to help with carers coming in to assist you.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My mum is also hiding things, the last item was her telephone, the main one is in our room but she has a handset in her bedroom, after a long search I found it all wrapped up at the back of a drawer, of course she did not put it there. :rolleyes: