Hiccups

AliceA

May 27, 2016
does anyone have any experience of persistent hiccups? My husband has had several bouts lasting several weeks, night and day, awake or asleep. They have eventually stopped but they are tiring and increase the risk of ingesting into the lungs.
I feel this is a neuro issue perhaps. The coordination of swallow and speech although the SALT team noticed but did not have an answer.
A few years a consultant suggested trying Domperidone and also a dose or two of an antipsychotic. The only time we tried the latter my husband became very wobbly and I feared a fall. I am trying Domperidone but with no great impact.
Sometimes the hics are loud almost like barks. My husband says they do not worry him but he tends to says this.
Others are getting worried when they visit, I try to get them to ignore but it is difficult.

Any ideas?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve no ideas at all Alice but can imagine how disturbing these hiccups will sound. It sounds as if others also have no ideas either and if the SALT people don`t know, it doesn`t bode well.

Just one more worry for you.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Not got any direct experience, I do remember seeing on TV as a child that some people can get bouts of hiccups that last days, weeks or even months, at that time no one knew why and there was no cure. It wasn't an item about old people but teenagers so might not even be relevant.

I've never had/suffered from hiccups, and always wondered what the fuss was about, but my husband and children both do get hiccups. Daughter's gets them the worst, and are often triggered by a meal, but that doesn't explain it or help you. I know dau finds them unpleasant when she gets them, but has no way of stopping them - but in her case they don't last long.

Not much help.

available medicines change - is it worth going back to the GP? - I appreciate logistics of things are difficult and assume you wouldn't want the effort involved in a hospital referra.