Hi

Rachelhp007

Dec 30, 2015
I am new to this site, I care for my Dad who had vascular dementia and Alzheimers. Looking for support and advice

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Rachel, welcome to Talking Point, plently of understanding,support and advice here and there is usually someone around who has experience of any challenges you encounter in your care for dad.
Take care
Chris

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Rachel and welcome to TP.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis but I'm glad you found this forum. I know you will get lots of help and support here.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Looking for support and advice"

OK, on a practical level - fire away.

The only stupid question is the one you don’t ask!

Rachelhp007

Dec 30, 2015
My Dad has been living with me and my other half and 2 kids for 4 months now. He was in a care home for 12 months but I removed him due to poor care. Looking for advice on how to keep him occupied and stimulated. He gets bored with reading and can only follow simple TV programmes like sport. He can get very unsettled especially at tea time, when we are trying to relax.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Have you had a carers assessment - that would give you some free time and give him someone else to talk to and interact with. Phone social services adult care duty desk and just ask for a carers assessment. Also do you have a day centre near by - social services will be able to help - a day centre/lunch club a couple of days a week might give him some extra stimulation and tire him out a bit. If you have time there may be a singing for the brain group near to you..

It would be worth joining your local carers organisation they will give you lots of local info and also phoning the Alzheimers helpline as they will be able to tell you about some local activities, clubs

Once you get going there is often quite a lot locally but the carers cafes are absolutely brilliant and they were my lifeline and worth popping into whenever you can - sometimes there are memory cafes too where you can both go

Here is the Alzheimers helpline number 0300 222 1122
or age uk have a freephone number and are open 365 days a year 0800 169 2081

Just to check - he is getting higher rate attendance allowance isn't he? He should be if he was in a caare hom

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
My Dad has been living with me and my other half and 2 kids for 4 months now. He was in a care home for 12 months but I removed him due to poor care. Looking for advice on how to keep him occupied and stimulated. He gets bored with reading and can only follow simple TV programmes like sport. He can get very unsettled especially at tea time, when we are trying to relax.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/services_info.php?serviceID=204
The tea time unsettledness sounds like sun downing.