Hi

lady @ Manor

Feb 19, 2015
I have a Mother in law with Alzheimer's, she lives at home with father in law, I go into see them every morning as I live close, father in law is getting very tried and upset as she is getting up every morning at about 2.30am fully dressed wanting to get up (they sleep in separate rooms) he has back and leg problems and is unable to get about without sticks, I don't know what to do or say, he gets upset with her and then she gets upset that he keeps getting on to her. The doctor don't want to put her on sleeping pills as she goes to the toilet a lot and if she has sleeping pill she may start wetting the bed. I just don't know what to do, any advice would be helpful.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

Are your in-laws getting any help from carers or social services? It sounds as though your father-in-law needs a break - coping with someone with dementia can be hard, and being sleep deprived only makes it harder.

Assuming your based in England/Wales have your in-laws had a community care assessment? You can read the Society's factsheet on community care assessments here.

lady @ Manor

Feb 19, 2015
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

Are your in-laws getting any help from carers or social services? It sounds as though your father-in-law needs a break - coping with someone with dementia can be hard, and being sleep deprived only makes it harder.

Assuming your based in England/Wales have your in-laws had a community care assessment? You can read the Society's factsheet on community care assessments

Hi sue38
Thank you for your reply, we live in Norfolk and no we are not getting outside help, thank you for your advice. Kind regards :)

flossielime

May 8, 2014
Push for the sleeping pill. Zophiclone -tell the GP the situation is desperate and it is that or 24 hour care. They gave me all the warnings about my dad becoming incontinent - which he didn't. That said the sleeping pill never kept my dad asleep for more than a couple of nights but you should at least have the opportunity to see if it will work.

lady @ Manor

Feb 19, 2015
Push for the sleeping pill. Zophiclone -tell the GP the situation is desperate and it is that or 24 hour care. They gave me all the warnings about my dad becoming incontinent - which he didn't. That said the sleeping pill never kept my dad asleep for more than a couple of nights but you should at least have the opportunity to see if it will work.

Thank you flossielime for your advice :)