Hi

venny

Jul 18, 2013
Broadstairs
I have been in the 'care industry' for over 15 years.. Due to back problems, I have been advised not to continue in Care work.. However I have seem some openings for 'Activities Co-ordinator'.. I have Just applied for a full time position in a local Residential Home for the Elderly .. although I am not fully aware of what would be required.. can anyone give me some helpful tips on activities, particularly with Dementia Patients. If I was to get offered an interview, I would like to be gemmed up and able to demonstrate that I would be best for the Job.. I love working with vulnerable adults and so want to have a positive impact on their lives.

Venny:)

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
You could try playing bits of music from the 40's, 50's and 60's and asking if they know what it is, the same with pictures of old movie stars and ask who they are and do they know any of the films they were in. When mum went to the Alzheimer Scotland daycare they had mum doing some flower arranging, although not suitable for everyone it could be done with some. Try some easy exercises to keep their feet/ ankles/ wrists, etc in working order, you could use a wii if the CH has one and get the residents involved?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
If you put activities coordinator in the search at the top right you will find lots of threads about this and lots of ideas,

Best wishes

Jeany x

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Hi Venny,

what a lovely thought :) they would be lucky to have you.

I have heard much about rummage boxes and tactile things, for those who like to have busy hands. They also have a little shop where residents can get themselves toiletries etc etc - the staff look after it and some of the more able residents help out.

venny

Jul 18, 2013
Broadstairs
Thanks for your replies.. I am digging through various sites etc.. also with your suggestions will be a great help so a BIG THANK YOU again!:)