Hi!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's such a long time since I've seen any posts I hope everybody is as OK as poss.

Izzy

Ruthie

Jul 9, 2003
South Coast
Still here!

Thanks Izzy - still out here! I was beginning to wonder where everybody was!

My brother-in-law and I took my husband out from the hospital for a drive yesterday afternoon to look at the sea - weather was grotty so we couldn't go for a walk, but the sea was wild and he seemed to enjoy it (he used to love sailing). It certainly made his brother and I feel much better than sitting in a dreary hospital ward! Despite being quite sedated my husband actually managed to point out a couple of potential road hazards to his brother who was driving - strange, isn't it, but as his brother said, it showed he was still in there somewhere. We even had a cup of tea in a local cafe without any problems!

It has made me feel a bit better, so hope to repeat the exercise soon.

Hope things are as good as possible with you and your husband.

Love

Ruthie

susie

Nov 30, 2003
shropshire
Hi

Hello Izzy
I've found this site very useful as my husband is in the early stages and has been on Reminyl for two months now with no side effects at all. He seems brighter in himself but I still notice daily changes in his comprehension and understanding. He has heart problems and decided to reorganise all his tablets and then blamed me when they were all wrong- do I detect paranoia creeping in now?
We are having 3 hours free care a weekfrom a community"friend" while I'm at work but It looks as though I may have to reduce my hours in the next year. I'm near retirement so I suppose that's a good way to get used to less money!
I'm havin a week with friends in September leaving my husband in the care of the family-any practical tips?
Regards Sue

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
Hi Izzy

Yes everything OK with us. Mum seems a little more settled in the home althoughshe does not seem to be eating as much. Visiting twice a week, once with Chris my son, although we are going over lunch times now as Mum gets very tired in the afternoon and has to have a lie down to try and reduce the risk of pressure sores. Hope every is OK with everyone else. Just a thought I am just about to be appointed reciever for Mum's affairs throught the court of protection so if anyone is embarking on this process and would like a chat leave a message. I did it without a Solicitor which can save up £600 worth doing when the Courtof of Protection costs £640.oo to arrange if the estate is over £15,000!

best wishes to everone

Geraldine

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Great to hear from people again!
Geraldine - not sure about being receiver. We have 2 Powers of Attorney - but that's Scots Law. We have the ordinary Power of Attornery which is relevant for financial affairs and Welfare Power of Attornery which will give me a say over health affairs when that becomes necessary. Thank God I can say it's not necessary yet. Arricept and Cipralex for depression are working wonders!

Susie - my husband is also in early stages and we are doing really well - keeping positive and still enjoying holidays together - long may it last.

Good to hear from you again Ruthie. We also enjoy the sea - whatever the weather.

Take care
Love
Iz

kate34

Sep 23, 2003
hi all

Hi all
still a member here, havent posted in a while. Dad is now in EMI home a couple of miles away. Its a lovely place, we go at weekends to see him as i work full time in the week. The staff are very kind. Dad has deteriorated greatly. Went to see him to day and he didnt know either of us :(
Its very hard on Mum even though he is no longer at home. She finds the visits increasingly depressing as she says she doesnt know the man she sees. ITs very dispiriting for her and i am sure equally frustrating for Dad. However he is well looked after, is eating and sleeping well most of the time. He doesnt know where he is anymore, and cant remember where he used to be so keeps asking us. We try and tell him as gently and kindly as possible but we dont know how much he takes in!

Jackie

Oct 9, 2003
Hi

Hi,

Still hanging in there, still arguing with the Social Services, still correcting them on their mistakes and waiting for them to process claims - mind you this one has now taken since the start of Nov 03 ........like I havent got anything worry about!!!!!

Saw my Mum over xmas and she no longer has any ideas who I am, and is making the 400 mile round trip to see her even harder and I am getting to the point where I am beginning to wonder if its worth while! I mean what is the point of making a 4 hour drive to see her for a couple of hours, without her even knowing who I am and then to make another 4 hour drive to go home - really if I am honest its just to ease my own conscience.......

Does everyone else still see their relatives or is it just me?

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Hello All,

Glad to know that everyone is still out there and hanging in.

Izzy - how are you getting along with the wheelbarrow project? Any joy?

Jude

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Jude - confessions - we haven't done anything about the wheelbarrows yet!! Bill is very involved with the jigsaws just now and he is planning to redecorate the whole house come Spring!

Iz

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Izzy,

Sounds like you're going to be busy. We've just finished redecorating. It kept me warm during these last cold weeks. Plenty of time for wheelbarrows in the Spring. I'm off to Bali, Darwin and Cairns for a couple of months next week. Some friends are going to move in and look after my parents. Am really looking forward to getting away - and also seeing my husband whom I haven't seen since last MAY...!

Jude

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Have a great time Jude - you must really miss your husband. I envy your trip but we're off to Amsterdam for a long weekend next week so we're both really looking forward to that.
Take care
Izzy

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne2024