Hi - Thanks for the support from this forum

*Carly*

Mar 12, 2009
I am a new member who is very glad that she has found this forum.

I am in my 20's and although away at university, when home I help my aunt and my mum look after my gran who is in her 90's and has dementia (although I am pretty sure its Alzheimer’s).

As yet we have not gained a differential diagnosis as my gran gets upset, angry and very withdrawn if we suggest doctors/ medication/ hospitals (anything healthcare related); however, I am in my final stages of studying to become a pharmacist and my sister is a nurse, so we have been able to assess the symptoms and come to the above conclusion.

She is in the advanced stages of the disease. When at back at home I work with her, going over old memories and talking about the past (which I am told stimulates patients with dementia) - I am studying in the town from whence she originates, and although she cannot remember if she put the kettle on, she remembers the house in which she was born.

This forum is not only giving me comfort, but also helping me understand the disease better. Thank you to all of the poster's - I find your threads enlightening and engaging.

Carly.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Glad you found us
My husband can tell me the names of all the boys in his class, but all of today is gone.
Luckily 20 years ago we spent much time in Hull the city of his birth so I can relate.. But must admit the repetitive stories get a bit hard to cope with..
Take care
Sunshine.. love and hugs
Helen

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Carly
thank you for your kind words.
I am pleased that you and sister will be in a position,through your individual professions, to further the cause of dementia
Norman

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
Welcome Carly

My Grandma has dementia too and I've also learnt so much from this forum.

My Nan can't remember how to make a cup of tea, who she was married to or where she used to live. But she can remember where she grew up, where she spent her childhood and she has just recently been able to recall the names of her brothers and sisters.

We thought they had all become lost to her a long time ago.

Polly

*Carly*

Mar 12, 2009
Thanks nellbelles, Norman and Pollyanna.

Your responses mean a lot to me. All I can ever think about is making her life as comfortable and happy each day as possible - The support of this forum will enable me and my family to do this.

Thanks, Carly.