Hi Please help me with my symptoms

perrysin

Oct 21, 2015
Hi,
My name is Perry and I am 22 years old. I have been suffering from twitches all over my body for the past 3 years. I had epilepsy as a child when I was 12-13.

I have seen no other symptoms so far. But I wanted to if Myoclonus is an early symptoms of early onset Alzheimer's. I did some research and found that the people with late onset Alzheimer's get Myocolnus in late stages of the disease.

Anyone with Early onset Alzheimer's help me please??

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello perrysin and welcome to talking point.

I would think that the myoclonus you mention is more to do with the epilepsy you suffered as a child and not early onset dementia but please speak to your doctor about your concerns, you need medical advice to put your mind at rest.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Perrysin, I have no medical training but I've never heard of someone at such a young age being diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I'm sure others will be along soon if they can offer an opinion on that score.

Have you been to your GP to ask his/her opinion? A thorough physical examination could be given to see if the symptoms that you describe can be attributed to something else.

I'm sorry that you are so worried.

Take care

Lyn T

perrysin

Oct 21, 2015
Thanks for the advice but I would still like to know if Myoclonus is an initial symptom of early onset Alzheimer's. I know alzheimer's patients develop Myoclonus in late stages, but is it also an early symptom.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband was in his late 50s when his dementia became noticeable and he was diagnosed when he was 62. As he was under the age of 65 he was classed as early onset.

He is now 72 and has never had myoclonus symptoms. There are many, many symptoms that dementia can display but not everyone gets every one of them or necessarily in the same order. There are also many other diseases that someone with dementia will suffer but again, not every one with dementia will get them.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband too never had any myoclonus symptoms .

We know he had symptoms of dementia at least six years before dementia diagnosis but nothing even slightly comparable to myoclonus before diagnosis or throughout his dementia until the day he died.

Please seek medical advice perrysin.